Valued Member
michintom

Sallie Mae Outrageous Repayment

Hello Everyone,

Today I received an e-mail from Sallie Mae regarding an update on my student loan.

I logged in and saw there was over 10 different e-mails from sallie mae. 

I only make $2,600 gross a month and my Sallie Mae student loan payments are due on 6/16/2013.  I need to start paying $for two different loans.  One loan for 120 payments of $321.67 and the second loan for 120 payments of $713.87.

Is there any way to lower the monthly payments because with the two payments of $1035.54 and my car payments, credit card payments, cell phone, utilities, and etc. (Gas, Food) I won't be able to survive. :smileysad:

Any recommendations? 

Thanks in advance!

Starting Score: 660
Current Score: 691
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
InvincibleSummer3

Re: Sallie Mae Outrageous Repayment

Have you spoken with Sallie Mae about getting into an IBR or ICR program? Those acronyms stand for "Income-based repayment" and "income-contingent repayment", and both can help lower your payments.

I would say call Sallie ASAP and tell them you need a payment plan with lower payments.

Valued Member
michintom

InvincibleSummer3 wrote:

Have you spoken with Sallie Mae about getting into an IBR or ICR program? Those acronyms stand for "Income-based repayment" and "income-contingent repayment", and both can help lower your payments.

I would say call Sallie ASAP and tell them you need a payment plan with lower payments.

Thank you for the reply!  I'll go ahead and call them first thing tomorrow morning!

Frequent Contributor
twall06

Thats what i did got my payments reduced its crazy how much they expect you to pay a month . I got mine cut to a fourth of what they wanted but im doing the graduated payment plan.
Valued Member
michintom

twall06 wrote:
Thats what i did got my payments reduced its crazy how much they expect you to pay a month . I got mine cut to a fourth of what they wanted but im doing the graduated payment plan.

Thanks!  I just called Sallie Mae and I'm still under a grace period.  The lady I spoke to said it would be very easy for me to get a income-based repayment since my gross income and monthly payment to sallie mae is over 30%.  I'll call back first thing on May 1st.  Hopefully I'll be able to lower my payments a lot.  :smileysad:

Established Contributor
Simply827

Do you have any private loans in that mix or are they all Federal? If you have private loans they won't be eligible for IBR.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ 689 EX 703 TU 707
Goal Score: 700+

PSECU $10000 | Discover IT $9250 | Barclay Ring $6500 | DCU $5000 | Citi DC $4600 | Amex BCP $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | PayPal Extras MC $3000 | US Airways $2000 | Cap 1 Platinum $1700 | Cap 1 QS One $1500 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $200
Valued Member
michintom

Simply827 wrote:

Do you have any private loans in that mix or are they all Federal? If you have private loans they won't be eligible for IBR.

It's a mix of DLSUB, DLUNSUB, and FFELP. :smileysad:

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
laz98

Those all sound like federal loans, if the DL you are referring to is Direct Loans.  You should be able to roll all of those into IBR.

Latest scores: Walmart TU: 769. MyFICO TU: 769. DCU EQ: 755. MyFICO EQ: 780. PSECU EX: 756. MyFICO EX: 780.
Valued Member
michintom

laz98 wrote:

Those all sound like federal loans, if the DL you are referring to is Direct Loans.  You should be able to roll all of those into IBR.

Thank you for the reply.  As long as I can lower the monthly payments, it would be great.

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
laz98

[ Edited ]

michintom wrote:

laz98 wrote:

Thank you for the reply.  As long as I can lower the monthly payments, it would be great.

You might have to apply for IBR more than once, if you have loans with different lenders or loan servicers, but it's worth it.

Latest scores: Walmart TU: 769. MyFICO TU: 769. DCU EQ: 755. MyFICO EQ: 780. PSECU EX: 756. MyFICO EX: 780.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}