cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae cosigner affecting my credit

tag
LloydChristmas

Sallie Mae cosigner affecting my credit

I have a private student loan through Sallie Mae that I received back in 2001 in which I have a cosigner.  Since the loan, we both have been through hard times and were never really able to make payments.  However, my cosigner made a few small payments scarcely over the years which have allowed the account to stay current and therefore restarting the SOL.

My question is this:  Since I have never acknowledged the debt, nor have never made a payment, would I be able to apply the SOL in getting the account removed from my report? Or does my cosigners activity on the account  prevent me from doing this? 

* I know this sounds very shady, like Im trying to pin all my debt on the cosigner, but there is a bigger story than what Im posting.  

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae cosigner affecting my credit

That is a very specific situation and it's going to come down to state law.  I would contact with a legal professional familiar with debt issues in your state, especially if there is "more to the story."

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.