Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae help!

tag
bdr1010
Established Member

Sallie Mae help!

I need help understanding something. I had a loan with Sallie Mae back in 2007 that was a consolidation from a previous loan. I defaulted on it in June of 2009 it was then passed on to another company which I have paid in full. The Sallie Mae account on my Cr shows as claim filed with government, closed. However in the payment history and account status it shows as a severe delinquent account of 120 plus days late. I called Sallie Mae and asked them to update the status to closed since the account is closed and they told me they can't update it because they don't have the loan any more. They said how it last reported after the default is how it will stay even if it's closed. How is this correct, or is this incorrect?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
scvbd99
Frequent Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae help!

based on what you said, it sounds like they're reporting accurately, so it's up to them if they want to adjust it.

you might be able to get more done with a goodwill letter/email to an executive board member, but i wouldn't count on it.

something i do recommend trying is getting the "claim filed" comment removed.  they might be willing to do it if you show them the documentation that you completed rehab on the loan they sold.  can't hurt to try.  i was in the exact same situation with ACS, and they removed the "claim filed" comment at least.  good luck!

800+ for all 3 CRAs.

Student loan forgiveness/discharge FINALLY complete.
Message 2 of 4
bdr1010
Established Member

The problem I see is that it still shows as delinquent on 2 of the 3 bureaus. Experian shows it as claim filed with government, but the other two show as delinquent past 120 days. This is the only negative I have left that I am trying to get fixed.

Message 3 of 4
scvbd99
Frequent Contributor

"Claim filed with government" is as bad or worse than old delinquent payments.  The lates hurt less and less over time when it comes to credit score, but the comment about the claim being filed is a red flag for a lot of lenders to automatically say no.  

Also, completing rehab does not require any entity to remove delinquent payment reporting (such as 30/60/90/120/150/180 lates), but only the collection/default status. 

That was my main point.

You can hope that maybe you find somebody sympathetic to you who is nice enough to remove the lates, and I wish you luck in that.  

800+ for all 3 CRAs.

Student loan forgiveness/discharge FINALLY complete.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.