Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae late payment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sallie Mae late payment

Not sure if I need to write a GW letter or if I can just call, explain what happened, and request that they remove the late payment.

So here's what happened.

I graduated from college and then started taking classes at another school thinking that my in-school deferment would continue without a hitch.  Well, my new school didn't report my enrollment until after my in-school deferment expired so, naturally, Sallie Mae started billing me.  Obviously I was unaware (my fault, I know) that this had happened and only found out when Sallie Mae called me to collect.  I informed them that I was in school and I shouldn't have anything to pay right now.  They said that there was nothing in the Clearing house and to ask my university to report and verify my enrollment  (anyone who has had to deal with Sallie Mae knows they are extremely helpful and usually very nice and understanding).  So, long story short, I got it all figured out and got back on an in-school deferment.  Sallie Mae backdated it to the initial date that I started at my new school, which was before my original deferment was set to expire, but is still reporting a late payment and charging me a late fee.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae late payment

You can try to contact them to see if they would be willing to remove the late from your credit report.  Just know that there have been many experiences and not too many positive ones when it comes to getting the negative marks removed from credit reports with regard to student loans.  I am not saying this to discourage you, but just want you to be prepared if the constant answer is no.  I would certainly ask though.  If they person you speak with cannot do it, ask who you should contact at Sallie Mae. 

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.