Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae loan

tag
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Sallie Mae loan

I had a loan for around $2,600 and paid it all down to abou $6 to just have it report for as long as possible. I just logged into my account and it says congratulations on paying your loan of and that is it......I paid it down to $6 which is not 100% paid off. I called them and they said don't worry about it, and it is paid off. Ive heard stories of people waiting 15 years and then getting a letter from a creditor that they owe them money. Is this something I should worry about

CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae loan

It's possible that they just settled the account, because the amount was so small.  Or that there was an error in calculation discovered, and the amount covered most or all of what you owed.  I would download and save copies of any statements/other information on the website that shows that you have paid the loan off, you could also ask for a final statement to be mailed to you reflecting the $0 balance.  Keep that documentation at least until the debt would be out of the Statute of Limitations.

Message 2 of 4
Luscher
Valued Contributor

Yea, it could have been something like that. The loan had over $100 in interest added to it over the life of the loan before I paid it off
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 3 of 4
jim44
Established Contributor

+1  This is something that could come back to haunt you.  Even if you could affirm that the loan is indeed considered paid in full... some other employee in the future may consider the small amount as owed and not paid.  I've had experience with car loans under the same circumstances. You do need proof the loan is paid in full.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.