cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae private loans and military deferment?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sallie Mae private loans and military deferment?

My husbands student loans are going to be the death of me! When my husband took out his student loans, he was very uneducated about how they worked (it was waay before we got married) and his sister told him not to worry about it and said that she had everything under control. Well, now its years later, and the student loans are haunting us very badly. I've taken the time to educate myself on them as much as I can possibly understand, but I could really use some advice right now. He owes both federal and private Sallie Mae loans. I think it's almost 40k altogether. The loans all went into default and once I realized the option was available to us, I was able to get his federal loans into an economic hardship deferment. Due to the economy and the loans, my husband joined the miltary. His private loans are now severely defaulted and has been sent to the collection agency.I just called Sallie Mae to try to talk about the private loans, but they told me that I have to deal with the collection agency now. Will a militay deferment cover private loans? I'm at my wits end and I really don't want to have to deal with the collection agency and I especially don't want his wages to get garnished. We're hardly getting by as it is. Thank you so much in advance!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
einsteinpi

Re: Sallie Mae private loans and military deferment?

Amber,

Sorry to hear about your situation, I wish you and your husband the best, and applaud him for his willingness to serve his country.  I don't have much that will help you with this, except to say that I know at least 2 branches of the millitary (AF & Army) offer to pay up to XXXX on student loans when you enlist (I'd heard 20k), likewise, you may find your husband can achieve relief through the GI bill programs.  I'd check there first to see if either of those 2 things are options for the actual debt amount, and I'd also check there about the deferrment options available.  My guess is that Sallie Mae is reluctant to talk to anyone when they've washed their hands (administratively at least) by passing it to a CA.  The CA is probably only interested in getting paid, not your specific situation.  Once you have your answers from the millitary, you'll both be in a better bargaining position, and ready to start dealing with SM and the CA.  Although in the meantime, I'd try and find out if SM still owns your account, or if the CA does.  Some of the other forum members more knowledgable should be able to help you with specifics, but there's a chance you may even be able to get the accounts to not be negatives with a bit of work.

You may consider posting in the reparing your credit forums, as they seem a bit more active, and may be more helpful in a couple of aspects, although please remember forum rules.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 6
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Once you default on a loan, you are not eligible for any deferments or forebearances.
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 3 of 6
My2cents
Regular Contributor

What about it you rehab the loans, could you then consolidate after the rehab period.  And what is this talk of new rate going into effect in July of 09.  I am currently rehabbing my loans(2nd month) and would like to take advantage of the new rates, would they(the new rates) be available in Jan 2010?

At this point, 2cents my not be enough, at any rate My2cents.

700 Club Member
Message 4 of 6
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

@My2cents wrote:

What about it you rehab the loans, could you then consolidate after the rehab period.  And what is this talk of new rate going into effect in July of 09.  I am currently rehabbing my loans(2nd month) and would like to take advantage of the new rates, would they(the new rates) be available in Jan 2010?

At this point, 2cents my not be enough, at any rate My2cents.

Private loans are not eligible for rehab or consolidation loan you speak of.  And the op's federal loans cannot be in default if they got an economic hardship deferement...so rehab is not an option for that either.  

Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Message 5 of 6
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Private loans are not eligible for military deferments.
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.