Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae student loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sallie Mae student loans

Any of you currently have Sallie Mae student loans?  Well, you should be happy to know that you can chip away your debt with your ordinary online spending at stores like, BestBuy.com, Borders.com, Nordstrom.com, Macys.com, and many other retailers.  You can save from your grocery and gas purchases too! 

The program is called Upromise, and it's absolutely free.  A percentage of your purchases accrue online, and you can contribute your Upromise savings balance towards your student loan debt or into a 529 account every quarter.  Visit www.upromise.com for additional details!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sallie Mae student loans

I have a Upromise account and a Upromise-branded CC from B of A.  I love the program.  I'm not using it to pay student loans, but I've earned about $1000 for my kids' college tuition (if they choose to go that route).
Message 2 of 6
poet
Regular Contributor

OH MY GOD!! I always wondered whether I could us a uPromise account for my own student loan debt!

I'll check this out right away--THANK YOU!

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: 673 EQ, 681 TU, 650 EX
Goal Score: 720

Update April 1: TU 615/EQ624
Update June 28: TU 641/EQ 626
Update Sept 21: TU 681, EQ 673, EX 650 (FAKO)
I FINALLY got that car at the rate I wanted! Thanks, FICO Forums!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
LisaPA
Regular Contributor

I have a UPromise account and it does me no good at all. They only give money back on crap I don't buy (like junk food and soda) and my grocery store chain hasn't been added to their list in the year I've been a member. Apparently the restaurants I eat at don't qualify either. If you have a healthy lifestyle and don't eat at chain restaurants, UPromise is pretty much worthless. It makes more sense to just get cash back from another card or through FatWallet.com and apply that to my student loans.

Also, the subject header on this should really be UPromise, not Sallie Mae. It's a sales pitch, not a question about loans.

Message 4 of 6
laz98
Senior Contributor

@LisaPA wrote:

I have a UPromise account and it does me no good at all. They only give money back on crap I don't buy (like junk food and soda) and my grocery store chain hasn't been added to their list in the year I've been a member. Apparently the restaurants I eat at don't qualify either. If you have a healthy lifestyle and don't eat at chain restaurants, UPromise is pretty much worthless. It makes more sense to just get cash back from another card or through FatWallet.com and apply that to my student loans.

Also, the subject header on this should really be UPromise, not Sallie Mae. It's a sales pitch, not a question about loans.

ditto

Message 5 of 6
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Couldn't agree more. I have been a member since I graduated college 3 years ago, have tied my Kroger card to it, all my credit cards to it, and even use their "turbo saver online thingy". In three years I have earned $24.00 and it can't even be applied to the loan until you earn $25. It's a joke.

What's up with a sales pitch post btw?

@LisaPA wrote:

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.