cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae unwilling to put loan agreement in writing.

tag
bnewton

Sallie Mae unwilling to put loan agreement in writing.

I've been trying to work  with Sallie Mae to get current and lower my payment with my student loans. While they have provided me a few options they have been unwilling to provide any of these options writing. I don't want to feel pressured into anything over the phone without having a chance to few it all first.

I'm not sure what to do next - since they appear to be unwilling to provide any of these options in writing. What should I do next? I just wanted to make sure everything is on the up and up.

Any suggestion or feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae unwilling to put loan agreement in writing.

Did they say why they didn't want to put it in writing?  That sounds strange.

Message 2 of 7
bnewton

It is kind of strange I'm really not sure what to do next. The person from Sallie Mae tells me that since it something they are only doing for me they couldn't provide it in writing?

Message 3 of 7
laz98
Senior Contributor

The only thing I can think of is that they don't want people calling them up saying, "But you gave so-and-so that deal!!!"  I really can't think of any other reason why they wouldn't be willing to put it in writing for you.

Not saying you have a big mouth, but I think a lot more businesses know people talk, & they probably do get calls from people upset that they aren't able to get the same kind of arrangements that others have.  I"m sure that affects people trying to get good will adjustments, etc.

Message 4 of 7
Taylor97

Hi bnewton,

I just stumbled upon this website and forum and saw your post. I'm having the same issues as you are with Sallie Mae. I was wondering if you were able to find someone at Sallie Mae to agree to putting your loan agreement in writing? I can't tell you how many times I've called them to have different representatives tell me the same thing, "they can't put anything in writing specific to my case". Then they want me to agree verbally to the terms. I have been putting them off because I'm not agreeing to anything without a written statement. Have you been successful with reaching someone who will send you written confirmation?

Message 5 of 7
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I think the main reason nothing is put in writing is that you are dealing with an out of country call center.   At the out of country call center, they do not have the means to send you the letter.   Heaven forbid you learn that they are NOT in the US like they claim!  Smiley Wink

I went through the same thing - I repeatedly asked for statements to show me that they were making the corrections to my loan payments.   Never received one.   Now if I reach a real person who is physically in the states, they will send a letter.

My suggestion -- insist on talking to someone who in the phsyical US.  I had to do that many times.  But it worked.  Then once you verify that they are in the US (ask where they physically are - then ask what time it is.  heehehe - always stumps the ones lying), ask for the plan in writing.

Message 6 of 7
Taylor97

Hi IOBA,

Thank you for your reply. I am still working on getting anything in writing from Sallie Mae. At the moment I haven't someone who is willing to put my loan modification agreement with them in writing. They just tell me that I'll get information regarding how a rate reduction works, basically general information of what loan modification is and the terms but not specifics to my particular agreement. I don't understand how putting that in writing is so difficult for them. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion and for taking the time to reply. It's nice to know that someone has had success with Sallie Mae which gives me hope that they'll work with me too. Lesson learned: Never ever co-sign for anyone.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.