Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae

tag
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae

This comment is for Lynn.  You seem to be very hard on people who don't pay their bills on time or for people who would like to request a GW. 
'
I dont believe in sugar coating.   Student loans are governed by the Higher Education Act which by law requires lenders/servicers to report accurately.  GW is not accurate reporting.  

Everyone can't be like you and not make mistakes.  We are human and therefore have room for human error.  People go through things at different times of their lives and who are we to judge them.  You don't know why people were late or why they didn't take care of their loans.  This forum is for people to be able to ask questions and possibly receive answers from people who may have encountered the same problems they have not to be patronized and criticized for mistakes they may have made at one point in time in their life.

Student loans are not normal consumer debt.  No other debt allows you the flexibility not to pay while you are in school, unemployed for up to 3 years or economic hardship for up to 3 years.  Forebearances are as easy as a phone call.  All it takes is communication and responsibility. I spent almost 15 years in the student loan industry listening to every excuse in the book and people always placing the blame on someone or something else other than themselves.  People can find complaint forums easily enough on the web but cannot look up their lenders website or the DOE website to find the information which is readily available before they get into trouble.  
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, I've read all versions of the HEA (meaning, the original version and the subsequent amendments -- even as far as the info concerning reauthorization) and absolutely NOTHING in the HEA states that GWs can't be made.

It speaks more to reporting defaults (which, since I would assume that since over 270 days late would be considered a "default" so in that case, yes, lates to THAT extent must be reported). In fact, the majority of the passages dealing with reporting to the CRAs deal with mandating that defaults, once rehabbed, must be reported to the CRAs as being rehabbed and out of default status. Which all in all, seems to be more of a concession to the borrower than the lender/servicer/guarantor.

In fact, in re credit reporting, it also stipulates that SLs must be updated once a year, and does not specify that SLs must be updated every month -- which kind of supports (in MY mind) the supposition that a SL servicer/lender does not HAVE to report the lates (unless it becomes a default).

In fact, if we want to get nit-picky, there's more regulations against forgiving lates in the FCRA than in the HEA ... and we all know that banks/lenders are fairly prone to GWs in that area.

And nope, I didn't sleep through Contract Law ... of course, my class was at 9:30 am, so I was wide awake. I loved my Law classes -- but Psychology was just easier! Smiley Wink
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to agree -

myFICO does appreciate the expert contributors in the SL forum-

However- please try to be more supportive. 

I also spent hours reading the HEA- please be specific in the portions of it that are in context. 
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.