Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SallieMae - late payments

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SallieMae - late payments

I had Direct Loans, and that was not at all on my paperwork. Which is apparently not unusual, but this from Myeddebt.com and studentaid.ed.gov:

• Your loan(s) will no longer be considered to be in a default status.
  • The default status reported by your loan holder to the national credit bureaus will be deleted

From the StudentLoanBorrowerAssistance blog:

"Once rehabilitation is complete, the loan is removed from default status and you are eligible for new loans and grants. The default should be removed from your credit record. In most cases, however, the other negative history will remain until it gets too old to report."

There's a thread here as well:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Student-Loans/Federal-Student-Loan-Rehab-The-Law-and-You-please-read...

I don't think removal of all negative info is a slam-dunk, although I do think a GW-type approach might be good. It's not begging to ask for a GW, and I'd hate to have someone end up thinking they are entitled to removal when, in fact, they aren't. People get a variety of results largely because there's no solid policy on this.

Message 11 of 13
SusieQ
Regular Contributor

Thanks to all for your help in this thread.

When starting to write my GW letter to Sallie Mae, I found aditional paperwork on the rehabilitation.    The letter from NYS Higher Education Services Corporation  states that "If the debt has been rehabilitated the HESC loan is deleted from your credit history."

The AES purchased loan (after completing rehabilitation) is now on my credit report with a start date matching the original Sallie Mae loan. 

I am sending a copy of this letter to Sallie Mae Advocate requesting that they remove the loan in its entirety.

Keep your fingers crossed!

10/31 - update - sent request to remove to the advocate group at Sallie Mae via email last night.

Message 12 of 13
SusieQ
Regular Contributor

I sent an email to the advocate asking for deletion and included the letter from NYS Higher Education Services Corporation  stating that "If the debt has been rehabilitated the HESC loan is deleted from your credit history."

Received a quick email response letting me know that they are reviewing.  Fingers crossed

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.