Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score change after consolidation

tag
wednesdayaddamsd
Regular Contributor

Score change after consolidation

Hello Gang,

I am consolidating my student loans (14 of them) into one loan. Has anyone consolidated and what happened to your score? I am guessing that the loans will take some time to show up as paid, since they're with 3 different lenders. Does anyone remember how long they took to show up as paid? And how long it took for the "new" consolidation loan to pop up on their reports?

Any information as to what happened to your scores during this process? I am in the midst of getting ready to apply for a mortgage and VERY nervous about my scores dropping because of this consolidation.

I cannot believe how absolutely nerve wracking applying for a mortgage is. I guess for someone with perfect credit the process is pretty smooth. My credit karma is not very good so I guess this is my karmic debt to be repaid.lol.

Thanks in advance for any help or information anyone has on this matter. Smiley Surprised)

Amex PRG. Amex Blue. Amex ED. Cap 1 Quiksilver. Saks Fifth Avenue. Neiman Marcus. Grandin Road. Target Red Card. Barclay Rewards. Home Depot. Paypal BML. Affirm. Victoria's Secret. Care Credit. Lumber Liquidators. Art Van. Evine. Firestone. Discount Tire. Discover IT.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Scope27
Regular Contributor

Re: Score change after consolidation

I had a score increase after my consolidation. I was using the exerian site at the time so it was a fako increase.  IDK how it affects the fico score

Message 2 of 11
wednesdayaddamsd
Regular Contributor

Thank you, Scope! Smiley Happy

Amex PRG. Amex Blue. Amex ED. Cap 1 Quiksilver. Saks Fifth Avenue. Neiman Marcus. Grandin Road. Target Red Card. Barclay Rewards. Home Depot. Paypal BML. Affirm. Victoria's Secret. Care Credit. Lumber Liquidators. Art Van. Evine. Firestone. Discount Tire. Discover IT.
Message 3 of 11
Scope27
Regular Contributor

I forgot to mention after my consolidation it took 2 months after approval to show up on my report but it did show correct payment history from my first payment

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you,Scope. That is very helpful!

Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am really surprised at the number of people who have crazy score increases, and then the number of people who don't have any score change at all. Does anyone know why?

Message 6 of 11
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

I don't know that I had any score change due to the consolidation. When the new consolidated loan shows up it will be a new account, which may give you a tiny ding...plus it will lower your AAoA. If the consolidated payment is less than the separate payments, it will help your debt to income ratio when you apply for your mortgage.

Overall, my consolidation was a big yawn as far as my scores were concerned, but I have a pretty long credit history.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you,  Lynette. I am hoping to be in the "crazy score increase" category and not in your "yawn" category! Ha hah hah!

Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 11
wednesdayaddamsd
Regular Contributor

yeah, me too! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 11
wednesdayaddamsd
Regular Contributor

Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.