Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious problem

tag
meshon711
New Contributor

Serious problem

Ok I have a lot of student loans that are reporting negative information on my credit report. Now I admitt it's my own fault for not handling my situation sooner. But I have 3 that's in default which I'm about to make my 10th consecutive payment at the end of Feb and 30 to 45 days after that I should have that information removed from my credit report. But there's a lot more. Several of them were closed/transferred to another business. I am currently on time with my student loans and I was wondering if there's a way I can get the negative information off or will it forever be there? Even though I'm currently on time with my payments? Help! That's the biggest issue on my credit report!

Starting Score: 548
Current Score: 595
Goal Score: 600 ALMOST THERE!!!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Serious problem

If the loans are not in default, you have two options for removing negative information.  You can either wait it out, negatives are removed after 7 years -or- you can write goodwill letters to the lenders reporting the negative information explaining your situation and asking them to adjust the reporting.  There are mixed results with GW letters, but a number of people have had great success with them, so its certainly worth a try.

If you poke around these forums, you can find templates, personal experiences, and maybe even suggestions on who specifically to address your letter to.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.