cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for a credit card before I consolidate my variable rate Stafford loans?

tag
mazinaige
Regular Contributor

Should I apply for a credit card before I consolidate my variable rate Stafford loans?

I have 16 accounts, all student loans, no credit cards. Should I apply for a credit card before I consolidate my variable rate Stafford loans with Direct Consolidation Loans?

TransUnion left two negative (contradictory) remarks.

1. There is no recent activity on your revolving accounts.

Your credit report shows no open revolving accounts or it does not report recent information (such as balance or credit limit) about any of your revolving accounts. Your FICO score evaluates your mix of credit cards, installment loans and mortgages. People who demonstrate responsible use of different types of credit are generally less risky to lenders.

What to do about this: You might want to show new activity on any credit card. If you already have a credit card, you can do this by using it and paying it back on time. If you don't have a credit card, consider opening one. However, be aware that the credit inquiry associated with applying for a new card may lower your FICO score in the short term.

2. You have too many credit accounts.

Your FICO score takes into account the number of accounts (such as credit cards or installment loans) on your credit report. You have a large number of accounts. In general, people who have a large number of accounts pose more risk to lenders than people with a moderate number of accounts.

What to do about this: Avoid opening more credit accounts at this time and as a general rule, if you don't need or plan to use credit, don't apply for it.

FICO® TU: 703 8/07/2015, EQ: 716 8/07/2015
Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.