cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I ask for closed Student Loan accounts to be removed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I ask for closed Student Loan accounts to be removed?

When I was in school, I had a number of student loans with Wells Fargo bank.  Early last year, I consolidated with the DOE, so all of my student loans with Wells Fargo were paid and closed.  On my credit report, I now have 14-16 (depending on which credit reporting agency) closed accounts.  I have no negative items on my credit, but I have heard that even closed student loan accounts can have negative impacts, even if they were in good standing.

I am now applying for a job in law enforcement where a good credit score is extremely important.  Do you think it would be worth the time and effort to get these closed accounts removed from my credit report, or are they not really doing any harm?

Thanks in advance for the information and advice.

Andrew

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I ask for closed Student Loan accounts to be removed?

as long as they are paid off in full, there's no reason why they should be hurting your score.  if anything, they are probably helping your average age of accounts.  i would not try to have them deleted at all.

Message 2 of 3
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Re: Should I ask for closed Student Loan accounts to be removed?

@laz98 wrote:

as long as they are paid off in full, there's no reason why they should be hurting your score.  if anything, they are probably helping your average age of accounts.  i would not try to have them deleted at all.

+1

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.