cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I pay off student loans before buying a house?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I pay off student loans before buying a house?

I currently have a Equifax FICO score of 786.
I have had credit for 8 years (average account age is 6 years). I have never missed a payment and while I use credit cards daily I never carry a balance and pay them all off in full every month.
I do have a $13,000 federal student loan which I am making monthly payments on and will be doing so for roughly 8 more years. MyFico.com says that the student loan is the only thing hurting my FICO score.

I was wondering if it would be to my benefit to pay off the student loan before buying a house? Should I take some of my house down payment and use it to pay off the student loan? Do you think that would raise my FICO score enough to make a difference in my mortgage rate, and would that difference be worth taking money away from the house?

Any advice or experience you may have with a student loan vs house payment scenario would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I pay off student loans before buying a house?

With a score like that (spectacular! assuming it is a true FICO score), you should/will be offered the best rates.  If you don't think you're getting the best rates (predatory lenders, brokers, etc.), keep asking questions and looking around for better rates.  I think that the "here's what's bringing your score down" statement is misleading because your scores are so close to the top.  When there's nothing really bringing your score down (because it's so high!), you end up with some bs excuses in that section of the report.  So since you don't need to be worried about not getting the best rates, I don't think you need to be worried about how to "fix" your score.

Another piece of the puzzle is the mix of your credit (revolving (credit cards) vs. installment (student loans) vs. etc.).  Getting rid of what sounds like your only "installment" loan may mean that you take a slight hit since lenders like to see that you handle different kinds of credit well.  Depending on what else you may do with your money, and what kind of return you may make on it, it might be worth it to pay down that loan--certainly if you're paying interest over the life of the loan.  But the "mix" is one thing you would want to consider before paying it off.

Once you start applying, ask your broker or loan officer or whatever, and ask them if it would make a difference to them.  With scores like yours, I don't think it would make any (even incremental) difference.
Message 2 of 5
pattycake
Established Contributor

Don't pay off the loan.  Your payment is likely very low already and your score is phenomenal!  The more cash you have, the better!

Good luck to you!
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your student loan shouldn't be hurting your credit score, it should be helping it if you are paid as agreed as you say. Do you pay the min. payment or more each month? I would suggest you pay more per month than the requested amount for at least 6 months and then try and purchase a home.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whats the interest rate on the student loan? How much do you have in savings?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.