Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I pay off student loans?

tag
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

Should I pay off student loans?

I currently have 2 navient (formely Sallie Mae) loans which I've had since 2004.

Both totaling around $2,800 total paying around $34.00 monthly. I am very tempted to

Pay them off but, have heard that it would affect my AAOA.

Should I pay them off completely? Or maybe perhaps pay down the balance? And if so, would doing so severely effect my AAOA?

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I pay off student loans?

@credit_endurance wrote:

I currently have 2 navient (formely Sallie Mae) loans which I've had since 2004.

Both totaling around $2,800 total paying around $34.00 monthly. I am very tempted to

Pay them off but, have heard that it would affect my AAOA.

Should I pay them off completely? Or maybe perhaps pay down the balance? And if so, would doing so severely effect my AAOA?

It will have no effect on your AAOA since the accounts will stay on your report for ~10 years after closing them (will effect the average age of open accounts that places like CK uses but that is not your real AAOA)

It will effect your credit mix if you don't have other loans and most of the time your score will drop when you pay off/close a loan (even if you have other loans), how much is dependant on your profile.

I also have small student loan I am still paying on, currently it is at 1.5k which I could pay off if I wanted to but with the open date in 1999 I am going to keep paying it at the scheduled pace so by the time it closes it will be ~20 years old and give me the AAOA boost for a really long time.

Message 2 of 4
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

Yes, I do have another loan through a credit union for around $4k in which Im making monthly payments.

I just look at these small loans as adding more interest the less that I pay them and might as well just pay them off.

That's good to know that it won't effect my aaoa as that was my biggest concern. And yes, I do refer to CK for my lastest reporting but mybe I shouldn't put to much

faith into them. Smiley Frustrated

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 3 of 4
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@credit_endurance wrote:

Yes, I do have another loan through a credit union for around $4k in which Im making monthly payments.

I just look at these small loans as adding more interest the less that I pay them and might as well just pay them off.

That's good to know that it won't effect my aaoa as that was my biggest concern. And yes, I do refer to CK for my lastest reporting but mybe I shouldn't put to much

faith into them. Smiley Frustrated

I use CK and really like them, just need to keep certain caveats in mind, such as their AAoA is really AAoOA, their recommendations are purely marketing and their score is not used by any lender but they are great for keeping tabs on your reports.

If the loans are costing you a lot in interest then pay them off/down. Luckily for me I got my loan when interest rates for student loans were low so I only pay $1-2/month in interest

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.