Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone please clear this up for me?

tag
strong_lady
Regular Contributor

Someone please clear this up for me?

Years ago my student loans were in default they all have been consolidated now and all is good and it is no longer reported on the NSLDS site as in default.

However... I have noticed on my credit report that they are reported as not paid. bad collection and the such also they multiple inquiries of the same loan that is reported more than once on my credit report.  For example on transunion I have one student loan that is reported 6 times and its the same student loan.

When I called transunion they told me that they are allowed to report the same loan multiple times and that the student loans can do that?

Is this true? 

I know I have to write an GW letter for them to delete it of my credit report since they have all been  transferred to direct loans and been consolidated.  Im not paying on them now due to being in college and being in deferrement.  I will start paying them again when Im out of school. 

Any information would be appreciated

Thanks

Strong
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Someone please clear this up for me?

I had the same issue.  (sallie mae - then refi with consolidated) I disputed, disputed and disputed.  Then in 2003 I filed BK.  After the BK I continued to dispute.  ALL of them were removed from my credit reports.

Now, I am in the process of paying it off.
Message 2 of 7
strong_lady
Regular Contributor

hunnybunnz wrote:
I had the same issue.  (sallie mae - then refi with consolidated) I disputed, disputed and disputed.  Then in 2003 I filed BK.  After the BK I continued to dispute.  ALL of them were removed from my credit reports.

How long did it take before the BK went through?  Did you BK all of the loans and then how long there after did you continue to dispute.. This seems to be an long process?

Strong 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@strong_lady wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How long did it take before the BK went through?  Did you BK all of the loans and then how long there after did you continue to dispute.. This seems to be an long process?

Strong 

I doubt they were included in BK ... AFAIK, SLs are nearly impossible to discharge in a BK (note that I did not say "are impossible" just nearly).
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

IANM, you should dispute the loans rolled into the consolidated loan as "paid." They were, obviously, paid by the lender who consolidated them.

I think it's possible part of the issue you're having is that perhaps this was recently done? The CRAs may not have updated the defaulted loans as "paid" and the new consolidated loan as active. DOES the new consolidated loan show up on your CRs?

Also, I don't think ONE loan should show up multiple time. Dispute the "extras" online if you can. Hopefully, someone else will come along and give you the best advice on how to do so.
Message 5 of 7
strong_lady
Regular Contributor

Wonderin wrote:
IANM, you should dispute the loans rolled into the consolidated loan as "paid." They were, obviously, paid by the lender who consolidated them.

I think it's possible part of the issue you're having is that perhaps this was recently done? The CRAs may not have updated the defaulted loans as "paid" and the new consolidated loan as active. DOES the new consolidated loan show up on your CRs?

Also, I don't think ONE loan should show up multiple time. Dispute the "extras" online if you can. Hopefully, someone else will come along and give you the best advice on how to do so.

I am trying to get an loan that is being reported 7 times on my transunion report.  Im going to call the OC and then dispute it on my credit report. 
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just want you to make sure that they are actually reporting the same loan several times.  Each year that you use financial aid, 4 seperate loans can be opened.  They are: 1st disbursement of the subsidized portion, 1st disbursement of the unsubsidized portion, 2nd disbursement of the sub portion, 2nd disbursment of the unsub portion.  Each of these is a valid loan with it's own number (usually referenced only by the last two digits). So remember, while you are using financial aid, you are creating up to 4 new loans a year. (this is why most people consolidate).  Let me know if you have any questions.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.