Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specific law forbidding removal of federal loans lates

tag
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Re: Specific law forbidding removal of federal loans lates

I have not heard of any success of Nelnet removing lates on accounts that are still in repayment. Maybe once the loan is paid off, if I remember one story.

Message 11 of 28
bahbahd
Established Contributor

@BJ06 wrote:
Texas Guaranteed also removes past late remarks after 9 months successful rehab. So i dont think its an issue of " I can't". More likely "I won't"

What exactlly is your experience with TG? More and more now I wish I had just defaulted on my loans and worked with TG instead of paying Nelnet.

Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got US Dept. Federal Loan lates removed!!!  Mailed goodwill about a month ago then faxed the same letter to the Ombudsman and got a call from here last week saying no, but then after further explaining I got a call back today saying YES!!

Message 13 of 28
bahbahd
Established Contributor

DoE loans are much more forgiving it seems. Congrats. The main thing hurting my credit is SL lates.

Message 14 of 28
algorithmslave
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just got US Dept. Federal Loan lates removed!!!  Mailed goodwill about a month ago then faxed the same letter to the Ombudsman and got a call from here last week saying no, but then after further explaining I got a call back today saying YES!!

This is interesting....I have heard of peeps offereing a trade for each 30 days late for equal amout in Forbearance. I have often wondered if this would work? 

You can wrap me in your flag, make me say a praise to your creator and make me spend your currency, but remember this, I am a loyal servant to Justice and a Patriot to none. I am free...
Message 15 of 28
Sonic98
New Contributor

Yeah it's kind of crazy. You can default, rehab, and have them removed. But you can be late a couple months or be reported late because the lender does start your deferrment at the right time, and there is nothing you can do about it unless the lender agrees to correct your report or the CRAs believe the information you send them.

Message 16 of 28
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Tell me about it. I paid to avoid default yet could not pay enough to be current for over a year. I was super punished. The kicker is, I did not get any notification that my last forbearance request was denied before I was several months behind and my guarantor was contacting me.

Message 17 of 28
algorithmslave
New Contributor

@bahbahd wrote:

Tell me about it. I paid to avoid default yet could not pay enough to be current for over a year. I was super punished. The kicker is, I did not get any notification that my last forbearance request was denied before I was several months behind and my guarantor was contacting me.

Add to the fact that, you loose history if you signed up for the Special Direct Consolidation loan.....

You can wrap me in your flag, make me say a praise to your creator and make me spend your currency, but remember this, I am a loyal servant to Justice and a Patriot to none. I am free...
Message 18 of 28
bahbahd
Established Contributor

What is the Special Direct Consolidation Loan?  

Edit: I googled it. http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/consolidation/special  I'll be really upset if I could have used this consolidation method to get rid of my negative nelnet tradelines.

Message 19 of 28
algorithmslave
New Contributor

@bahbahd wrote:

What is the Special Direct Consolidation Loan?  

http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/consolidation/special

Please see the link above...burden your mind with this...it is NOT A CONSOLIDATION of loans. It was designed to bring all of ones student loans under one roof. This was a huge backfire thoough...it counts as a consolidation under FICO because a new account number was detected. Although if I call the lender, they have all the history of the loans. Interesting.........

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.