cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed up reporting on consolidated (defaulted) student loan?

tag
wife2froggy
Contributor

Re: Speed up reporting on consolidated (defaulted) student loan?

Oh Boy!  Yeah, after reading your post I visited the student aid website and sure enough it said it will not remove the default from the credit file.  So I just shot my loan officer an email asking him if a consolidation to get it out of default will be enough to get us a mortgage or if we need to pay the 9 monthly payments to rehabilitate it.  Nothing is ever easy when you do not pay your student loan!  Smiley Surprised

If my experience means anything... Smiley Happy

I paid my 9th rehab on July 15. Aug 1 it landed with the new servicer. 1st payment due Aug 7. (they notified me via email, I have yet to recieve a letter, very glad I check my emails regularly.) After first payment posted I applied for consolidation. Aug 16 the DOE deleted collections from EX, EQ, still waiting on TU.

I chose to go the rehab route to get the negs pulled upon completion. I am also going the consolodation route because I have 7 loans and the minimum payment is $50 per loan and I'd rather have the lower payment to not kill my DTI.

Loans are with FedLoanServicing - they claim they update at EOM and at that point all negs will flip to "current, pays as agreed" dated back to 2013 when the defaults went into place.

Hoping this all goes smoothly as we are really ready to pull the trigger on a mortgage application.

When we asked the LO about applying during rehab she said wait until it's cleared before applying. 

Not quite on topic but my main point was consolidation will be a better option for us AFTER rehab due to the number of loans.

On the road!
FICO 8 6/15/17 EQ 591 // TU 570 // EX 606

FICO 8 03/15/2021 EQ 702 // TU 700 // EX 699
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wifey2froggy,

Was it smooth sailing going with FedLoans? Was it everything you expected with the negatives turned around?
Message 12 of 16
wife2froggy
Contributor

Hi UsoDak,

A little update on this...

So FedLoan took nearly 2 months to consolidate my loans, as compared to my husband's at Navient who took less than a week.

FedLoan left my 7 neg accounts, added 7 new accounts as "good, paid in full" and the new single consolidated loan. All US Dept of Ed negs were completely deleted.

It helped my average age of accounts but didn't help with the number of negs reporting. The new consolidated loan didn't hurt other than now one of my reasons for the score is "remaining balance on mortgage or non-mortgage loans is too high."

The FedLoan website is fairly straightforward and I have my loan on auto pay. I've had to call a couple of times and they've been pleasant to speak with.

The positive on the negs is that all the balances now report zero, even though they are still stamped with 120+ days late. My fault, I'll just have to eat it until they fall off end of 2019.

They didn't stop me from getting my mortgage - my DTI was super low.

I think if I'd waited to consolidate there's a possibility the existing negs may have just been brought current but I was in a hurry to consolidate so I could start the ball rolling on the mortgage process. I'll never know Smiley Happy

It does seem like FedLoan takes FOREVER to update reporting though. They say monthly but it seems more like quarterly.

On the road!

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for taking the time to respond back, greatly appreciate it. Looking forward to getting my loans taken care of. I have 26 that defaulted and my consolidated loan payments start this month. My total school loans are $90,000, is yours anywhere near this amount? And was your mortgage based on 1-2% of your total school debt or just what your payments were? My payments are income based at $39 a month and I’m looking to hopefully qualify for a mortgage loan in 2 years.

Thanks again.

UsoDak
Message 14 of 16
wife2froggy
Contributor

Hi, no my loans totalled about $24000 and I'm doing standard repayment.

If I'd left them unconsolidated it would have been $350/month for probably less time but with standard on consolidation it's $173/month for 20 years.

FedLoan has a mortgage verification letter you can download right on the home page and it will tell the lender your total debt and monthly payments. I'm assuming because it's a set debt that the actual payments are what they used to calculate my monthly DTI.

In your case, and this is only an assumption, but they will most likely use the 2% rule for your DTI because you're on IBR and that can change at any time.

On the road!

Message 15 of 16
virgo
Established Contributor

Have an unusual SL situation. Apped to get SL to enter masters program. School tells me I have outstanding SL. Call default dept. and am told it is from 1986. No typo. I remembered the situation and at the time complained about the school and that i didnt attend long enough for school to keep the SL. Believe, the amount is quite small. So I have a SL from 1986 in default. Rather than continue to fight with ED, I am thinking of payments to bring it out of default in hopes that it will report on my CR's and bump my AOA. It has never appeared on my reports.

Am I overthinking this? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.