cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stafford loan, 2 new accounts every year??!!??!!

tag
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Stafford loan, 2 new accounts every year??!!??!!

@calihlove75 wrote:

Question: I have several stafford loans in deferment and it makes my CR look so sloppy. I have opened ones and ones that were transferred and closed, etc. Once I graduate next semester, and if I consolidate. will it only show up as ONE open student loan and the rest closed?

Yes, all of your other accounts should be closed & one new giant one will be opened.

Message 11 of 19
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

i guess if you take subsidized and unsubsidized every semester, that's 4 new accounts a year.

I talked to my financial aid office just now. I am planning on apping for one more credit card in the fall. I don't want anymore accounts before then. They said I can choose to just take a loan for the spring, but I can still take it for the full alowd amount for the school year. That way it will just report in the spring. I don't really need a student loan, I mainly use it as a way of having emergency money or use the funds for school so my education doesn't get interupted if my income gets disrupted.

Questions though: Once I finish school and decide to consolidate my loans for easier management. The big consolodated loan will show up as a new account, the bunch of student loans will show closed. However, do the small loans still get reported for the next 10 years?

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 12 of 19
calihlove75
Established Contributor

@laz98 wrote:

@calihlove75 wrote:

Question: I have several stafford loans in deferment and it makes my CR look so sloppy. I have opened ones and ones that were transferred and closed, etc. Once I graduate next semester, and if I consolidate. will it only show up as ONE open student loan and the rest closed?

Yes, all of your other accounts should be closed & one new giant one will be opened.

Th

Thank you so much!

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 13 of 19
laz98
Senior Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

Questions though: Once I finish school and decide to consolidate my loans for easier management. The big consolodated loan will show up as a new account, the bunch of student loans will show closed. However, do the small loans still get reported for the next 10 years?

Yes Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@laz98 wrote:

@SwiftTone wrote:

Yes Smiley Happy

This is interesting to me, because this was not my experience.  During the four years I was in school, I remember that when I looked up my stafford loans online they all showed up as seperate loans for each semester, but when I graduated they were all lumped together into two loans.  This was done by the lenders - I never consolidated anything.  They report to the CRA's as two loans and only two loans (since graduation anyway - I don't know how they reported before then).  They also both happen to be with the same servicer, who pulls one autopayment from my bank account each month.

Is my situation unusual?  Perhaps my experience is due to receiving funding from a small number of lenders.  I'm just asking out of curiosity - it never occured to me that other people might have a huge mess of stafford loans all reporting and billing them seperately.

Message 15 of 19
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@laz98 wrote:

@SwiftTone wrote:

Yes Smiley Happy

This is interesting to me, because this was not my experience.  During the four years I was in school, I remember that when I looked up my stafford loans online they all showed up as seperate loans for each semester, but when I graduated they were all lumped together into two loans.  This was done by the lenders - I never consolidated anything.  They report to the CRA's as two loans and only two loans (since graduation anyway - I don't know how they reported before then).  They also both happen to be with the same servicer, who pulls one autopayment from my bank account each month.

Is my situation unusual?  Perhaps my experience is due to receiving funding from a small number of lenders.  I'm just asking out of curiosity - it never occured to me that other people might have a huge mess of stafford loans all reporting and billing them seperately.

Are your loans federal or private?  I wonder if that makes a difference.

Message 16 of 19
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

@calihlove75 wrote:

@laz98 wrote:

@calihlove75 wrote:

Th

Thank you so much!

This is close, but not correct.  It will be two giant loans lol.  When you consolidated (I did in February) they divide the amounts into a giant subsidized loan and a giant unsubsidized loan, similar to the way that they report as individual loans.

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@laz98 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@laz98 wrote:

@SwiftTone wrote:

Yes Smiley Happy

Are your loans federal or private?  I wonder if that makes a difference.

Federal.

Message 18 of 19
laz98
Senior Contributor

I don't know then.  All of mine are federal as well, & they show up individually.  I actually hope that doesn't change.  That will be the greatest thing I could ever do for my AAoA!  Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.