cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Collection Agency At my Back Need Help Please!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loan Collection Agency At my Back Need Help Please!!!!

EOS CCA --

can anyone tell me how to get these guys off my back -- the HR lady at work told me today that she must garnish 25% of my wages.

the loan is 12 + years old and when she gave me copies of the paperwork from them - it said not to exceed 15% and the "garnishment worksheet" that was supposeidly sent to her blank for us to fill out together to determine the amount she would withhold--- it was blacked out or redacted. -- EOS CCA said that they sent it to her blank,

that seems shady on her part - but how can i get this garnishment to stop the last time i talked to the EOSCCA it was march and they were going to mail something to me- next thing i know its July and it seems wrong. Someone help --- i see alot of scam posts about them and it feels wrong - there is something fishy going on

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Student Loan Collection Agency At my Back Need Help Please!!!!

Welcome to the forums!

I assume this is for a federally-backed loan? Or was it private? If private, was there a judgment already?

Disclaimer: I know very little about SLs. I'll defer to others. However, I'm an employer and not too long ago had a CA collect on behalf of a federally-backed loan for an ex-employee. I enjoy toying with CAs and never revealed that the employee was fired a year prior. He really did reveal too much info about the debt, but he wouldn't back down and then in his anger, he said that he would garnish our ex-employee's wages from our payroll account. I told him he can have our accounts garnished if he wants, but that he better get a judgment from the court first and have garnishment papers served. He said it wasn't necessary and that he can take whatever money he wanted at any time to cover the unpaid loan. We parted company but the conversation bothered me. I later learned that he was mostly right. A judgment wasn't needed and they can seize our payroll to cover this guy's loan. Now maybe there's some sort of due process involved, I dunno, but a judgment is not needed by the courts on a fed-backed loan.

In your case, it sounds like the same tactics used on me were used by your HR person. That could explain the heat. Per the garnishment limits, you'd have to do some searching. I bet it's written out there somewhere what the limits are. Where I live, 25% is standard for garnishments after a judgment. The court gives us a paper to follow and there are tiers with 25% being the top tier for net incomes (after tax or court-ordered obligations like child support). That 25% is state-law and certainly isn't related to your HR's 25% request. I'd look up the law. If the law did show 15% you can always re-approach your HR folks and have them back down to the 15%.

BTW, they can't ignore an order. In my early days at the company, I had an employee who spent $$$$$$$ on worthless furniture from one of these rip-off places and financed it too at a high rate. She paid what she thought she owed and then defaulted. A judgment was obtained against her and then we received a garnishment summons. At the time she was going through a foreclosure, and had some medical issues with her kids. I foolishly ignored the summons to try to help her buy some time. Sure enough, the full amount of the judgment came out of our payroll account a couple of months later. That's the last time we ever did that.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

EOS CCA - Student Loan - My loan is from 1995 and they have put a garnishment on my pay at work

I know that this has to be a scam but the HR lady at my job is trying to tell me that she has no choice but to pay 25 % of my pay to these criminals.

What can I do to stop these guys now - before my next paycheck on the 19th of June, please help !

Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: EOS CCA - Student Loan - My loan is from 1995 and they have put a garnishment on my pay at work

OP, I split your latest post from another thread to keep that other on topic and moved your post here. Let us know what you find out about the law. Bumping for others.

Message 4 of 6
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: EOS CCA - Student Loan - My loan is from 1995 and they have put a garnishment on my pay at work

The bad news is that I have to agree with llecs on this...  If they did not obtain a judgement then it probably is a federal student loan.  You may want to see if you can go on some type of income based repayment plan verses having the garnishment.  Maybe you can consolidate the old federal loan with a new one and then do an income based repayment plan and start fresh.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loan Collection Agency At my Back Need Help Please!!!!

@Anonymous wrote:

EOS CCA --

can anyone tell me how to get these guys off my back -- the HR lady at work told me today that she must garnish 25% of my wages.

the loan is 12 + years old and when she gave me copies of the paperwork from them - it said not to exceed 15% and the "garnishment worksheet" that was supposeidly sent to her blank for us to fill out together to determine the amount she would withhold--- it was blacked out or redacted. -- EOS CCA said that they sent it to her blank,

that seems shady on her part - but how can i get this garnishment to stop the last time i talked to the EOSCCA it was march and they were going to mail something to me- next thing i know its July and it seems wrong. Someone help --- i see alot of scam posts about them and it feels wrong - there is something fishy going on

Student loans never die.

It is also really easy to have your wages garnished over student loans.  If they have served your employer you have no hope other than to call them and try to work somethin gout.  If the employer fails to process the garnishment, the employer is on the hook.  I am sure that no matter how much your employer may like you, they would rather dump you than have to pay your student loans out of their pocket.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.