Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Consolidation Impact on Credit Score

tag
iDShaDoW
Regular Contributor

Student Loan Consolidation Impact on Credit Score

Loans are a mix of subsidized/unsubsidized serviced by Navient.

Rates are on the high side averaging 5.5-6.5%.

My main question is if I shop around with the various loan consolidation companies out on the Internet along with some local banks like NavyFed; will all the credit pulls be pooled together and only count as a single pull sort of how loan shopping works for auto loans?

I've been meaning to do this for awhile now but never actually pulled the trigger; seems like fixed rate consolidated loans are around 3.5-4% at this time.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Student Loan Consolidation Impact on Credit Score

I don't believe that there is any provision for shopping inquiries for student loan refinances like there is with auto loans and mortgages.  I would definitely research your potential lenders closely, and make sure you are happy with the specific terms of the loan and the potential range of interest rates before you officially apply.  Some lenders will give you an initial financing offer on a soft pull as well, so that's something to look for.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.