Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Disability Discharge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loan Disability Discharge

I wonder if signing up with MyFICO is what caused me to get a collection notice 30+ years later for a discharged student loan in that case. 

Message 91 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't get any money in the 90's when they discharged mine. Never even occurred to me.

Message 92 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

HANG ONTO those letters~! They have come after me 30+ years later~!! Seriously, get a saftey deposit box or a safe in your home. I am not sure what is going to happen with mine yet, but will update here. 

The idea that banks were given bailouts and I am getting a collection for a 30+ year discharged student loan is making me feel the Bern~! 

Message 93 of 128
smitty1
New Contributor

Following.

Message 94 of 128
SCF
Valued Contributor

Were these federal loans? (Guessing they were, but 30 years ago, maybe they had discharges for some private loans, anything is possible.)  If so, the feds probably still have records of the discharge, you might even be able to get the records yourself out of the National Student Loan Data System.  If not, a call to the Ombudsman might be in order.  If nothing else maybe they can provide you some written verification that the loans were discharged so you can shut down any wayward debt collectors.

Message 95 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once they are discharge they are discharged. Have you checked the nslds system.

I can help you with this whether or not you have any existing student loans.

If you are able to create another FSA id, thus would tell you.

If you need help let me know. Send me a private message
Message 96 of 128
6speed8
Regular Contributor

Sucks that they're trying this. And you are correct, KEEP EVERYTHING !!!

I've been learning this over the last few years and it doesn't just pertain to student loans. Two years ago, I renewed my license here in Texas. A month later, they sent me a letter stating "Your license in New Jersey was INVALID when you applied for your Texas license. If you do not rectify this by May 8, the Texas DPS will suspend/revoke your Texas driving priveledges."  Um....  I renewed my NJ license in May 2007. I moved here October 2007 and within a week, surrendered my VALID NJ license when I applied for the Texas license. I RENEWED in 2014. I called the DPS and they stated NJ reported to the "national registry" on March 18, 2014 that there was an issue with my NJ license. Um, HUH ?!?! Yes, all states now share DMV info. So if you think you left a fine behind in another state, they will effect your driving priveledges in every state.  So I had to call them.

I supposedly had not payed surcharge fees for points on my license in 2004 and 2005. RIIIIIGHT.... You receive the surcharge letter stating $250 in total or $XXX for 5 payments for the year. If you do not make any sort of payment, your license is suspended within 60 days. It's their system, I'm not fabricating this lol. I know full well I paid them. The terror of my teens was an issue and I was VERY diligent about straightening and keeping my license in good standing. My career depended on it. I renewed my VALID license in May 2007. Since their system "doesn't show payments", I had to pay $192 to NJ to keep my Texas license. BUT WAIT !! THERE'S MORE !!!  I also had to pay a $100 restoration fee !!!   "I'm not moving back to NJ so why would I want to restore it?" "In order to report to the national registry, it has to be restored." So I was extorted lol. Sorry for the rant. Your post reminded me of this and angered me lol.

As SCF posted above, federal loans may be a different story. I've heard of people that "walked away" from student loand 20-30 years ago in some manner, now finding their social security/disability benefits being garnished.

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 97 of 128
2b2rich
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My student loans were discharged in the 1990's for disability. I was in college from 1981-1983. Recently, I received a collection notice from a creditor on behalf of U of Miami for an NDSL loan which should have been discharged - AND this is over 30 years later. My question is whether this is legal? My comment is even if your loans get discharged, they can STILL come back to haunt you 30+ years later. "That ain't right". 

It's like someone got wind that I'm trying to rebuild my life and they want to tear me back down again. 

Second note,my loans were discharged over the phone 30 years ago. I'm sure they sent paperwork, but not sure where it is. I know this sounds irresponsible and it is, but it is also 30 years later and I was on disability for a reason after all. Get and keep your paperwork (apparently forever) if you get the loans discharged.

Several things come to mind here:

1) The letter is a scam from a bogus collection agency.

2) This particular loan was not included maybe in the discharge? (back then, I don't believe they had the computer data base to cross reference and make sure that they had all of a students loans together.  Most all of it was paper and microfiche (because yeah, I'm that old)

3) I would imagine that if this is 30 years old, it would have been on your credit report all of this time if it was a federal loan.  If it's not a federal loan and a private  one, then they may not be able to sue you or put it on your reports any longer.

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 98 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have a question for everyone, when my 6 accounts were close they were marked as Negative on my credit report, how do I get them to be marked right?

Message 99 of 128
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok I disputed them on TransUnion and Experian, put Account Paid in Full or No Longer Liable, I tried to get into Equifax, but I didn't pass the test, so I guess I need to find a number to call them, not sure how else to do this.

Any suggestions?

Message 100 of 128
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.