cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Disability Discharged approved: Now What?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loan Disability Discharged approved: Now What?

Sadly, due to my disability and age (55), I decided not to continue with school in March.  I could not get VA education benefits (although I was eligible) because they said I was too ill to go to school or work (I had a 3.78 GPA taking 6 credits/term) but did have some emotional problems (I'm 100% disabled and on social security for bipolar disorder).  I wanted to help people through music and get a music therapy degree but when I turned 55, facing more papers and more debt, I raised the white flag.  I filed for disability discharge for my $6500 debt and today received noticed that it was approved.  What happens now?  When will the loan be discharged and paid?  Do I pay taxes on it?  What happens to my credit?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
silkysean
Regular Contributor

Re: Student Loan Disability Discharged approved: Now What?

It takes time so be patient and make sure you keep all necessary paperwork.They will write off and notify lender and credit agencies and in the process they will be watching careful so whatever you do don't get to much new c edit unless needed p.My wife discharge took almost a year to complete and another 3 plus months to be removed off her reports 

Message 2 of 5
Talima719
New Contributor

My mom was just approved for the discharge for parent plus loans she took out for me. She just received an email stating to wait up to 4 months for the loan servicer to get payment.

So, going forward, she will have 3 yrs of reviews before they are totally gone and no more responsibility on her part. Each year, they said she will get a form asking if she worked or not. And if so, how much did she make. She's never going back to work so it should be straight forward. She's also on Social Security.

She is going to get some tax documents for it. It's about $16k worth of loans that will count towards her yearly income. Knowing how little people get on social security, this will definitely help with at least getting a nice refund back. It's high enough to claim, but low enough to get some tax credits.

Hope that's helps!
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

My student loan was discharged based on VA permanent and total disability.  I do not have the 3-year review that Social Security recipients do-I have SSDI as well.  I will have to file taxes combining my social security disability income and $6500 student loan discharge in 2017.  VA disability is not taxed.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad to hear you where approved! I have some questions though. A little about myself. Med boarded with 70% Army  80% VA. Decided to go to school and almost done. I however had to pay for summer schools which was 6 classes during the summer so I racked up quite a bit. My questions are..

Is your disability date or rating date before the loans where taken out? Did they ask you any questions about it?
I'm going for 100% and my C&PE exam is tomorrow and I should be getting 100% rating this go around. Do you think I can apply with 90% or should I go with the full 100?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.