Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Duplicate Entries

tag
OonaMission
Regular Contributor

Student Loan Duplicate Entries

Okay, here's my situation. In 2002 I took out ONE student loan with the US Department of Educaction which I then defaulted on. I've posted about this before, and I know that even though it was one loan it could be reported twice for the subsidized and unsubidized portions of the loan. However, it's reporting THREE times on my reports, and all three reportings are from the US Dept of Education. The original loan that has been reported since 2002 shows the full balance of the loan that I took out. It then says that the student loan was permanently assigned to the government in May 2006. In June 2006 the other two reports popped up, each for a portion of the original loan. All three reports show the same Date Opened of 2002. I disputed the original entry as a duplicate of the other two, but it came back verified.

To top it off, the loan wasn't for a huge amount, so my Tax returns for 2006 and 2007 pretty much covered it. By the time I heard about the rehabilitation program, I owed less than $100 so they told me I was inelligible for the program. I argued, but ultimately caved and paid off the last little bit.

Does anyone have any suggestions/contacts to get this reported in a more accurate way??

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Re: Student Loan Duplicate Entries

Each defaulted loan should have TWO tradelines ....one for the Direct Loan lending division and another for the DOE collection division.   Both .are still the DOE but different division with different reporting .  Similarly a FFELP loan gets the lender/ servicer and the guarantor if it defaults. 
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 2 of 4
OonaMission
Regular Contributor

OK, so are you saying I should only have two entries on my credit report, or that I should really have four?? I only took out one student loan, but it was part subsidized and part unsubsidized.

Is there ever any sympathy from the DOE to get things removed from your report? 

Message Edited by OonaMission on 11-23-2008 08:30 PM
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You had TWO loans, a sub and an unsub. Each is contractually a seperate loan.

You should have one tradeline from Direct Loan servicing, and one from ED Collections, for EACH loan.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.