cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Family Forgery Nightmare. Now what?

tag
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Re: Student Loan Family Forgery Nightmare. Now what?

Del

Message 11 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 12 of 45
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Del

Message 13 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 14 of 45
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Del

Message 15 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 16 of 45
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't think the lender would put them in her name alone if there are no/few prospects of repayment.

At some point you will likely have to file a police report to prove fraud. Whether or not they would actually bring criminal charges against your mother is a separate question...but you may have to make the report and take that gamble.

Message 17 of 45
Cranski
Valued Member

I too had my mother steal my identity when I was young and abused it until I was 20. I had suspiciouns as mail was showing up when I was younger with a fake name similar to mine with just one added letter on the first name making it a girls name.

After sprint slipped up on the call back about the unpaid account I had confirmation of my biggest fear...

Unfortunatly, I never reported the crime. I struggled for 10 years with all three credit bureaus trying to get a free report. It wasn't until just 1 month ago at age 29 I got equifax to stop adding that stupid name back on my report forcing me to dispute it yearly. I was never able to get any form of credit, even though I cleared the utilities away from causing problems. Now Eq has a 1 year of history, eq 12, and tu of 4, ranging from 300-330 when I started to 670 now. Only after a year of a secured card.

In retrospect I wish I had done more. It is a tough situation to be in. It is you mother, and if your father didn't qualify she did what she thought was right I suppose, which is better than what I went through. You also said she had a Myfico account, perhaps she was trying to keep up with it as best she could. 

I know it sucks, but you did get the education. It appears you would have taken the loans anyway. I do see a major problem with the refund never reaching you though. That should be resolved. It isn't your fault they defaulted either, that is a issue you might need a cold one and a long conversation with your mom. I know it isn't easy but you came a long way. You're 2/3 cra's, make sure to hit up chexsystems to for the free report. Stay on top of TU. If nothing else, fill out some apps for you mom for a part time job so you can both tag team the debt perhaps. She kinda owes you...

CS 701, CK 682, Credit.com 719/ TU FICO 666 (DIS 8/12) EU FICO 658 (8/12)
After spree CS 738, CK 684, TU FICO 666 (Dis 8/5)

WF Secured 600Cl (7/11), Discover More 1.5k (8/12), Walmart 150CL(8/12), Cap1 Platinum w/Credit steps($300) (8/12)
Message 18 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I very much doubt that I would have taken out the loans if my family had told me what the real situation was. But I wasn't given the opportunity to make that choice, so. No, I do not think I should be held liable for the loans. I did not consent to them, and they were taken out under totally false pretenses and hidden from me.

But that's the thing with this student-loan ID theft: did you receive benefit from the stealing of your identity? The answer would have to be yes. I went to the school, not knowing that the money to pay for it had been stolen from me. Had the "gift" they'd given me been a car or other material goods, I could have returned them when I found out the goods were paid for with money stolen from me. No such luck with the college gift.

The best possible outcome is that Citi will allow her to take responsibility for the loans without pursuing her on criminal charges. If they do that, I will help pay them down, but only through her. These loans have been in dispute as long as I've known about them-- never a single payment. I don't know what the hell she was thinking. She is, as I have recently and painfully learned, irrational in her decisions.

If Citi wants me to pay them back for fraudulent loans, I guess they will have to sue me. Fortunately, I guess, I'm very poor. I make enough to live on and live within my means-- but I never thought I'd be socked with $80K in fraudulent debt. I have to pay down the federal loan (another $12K) anyway, and that I will do alone.

Message 19 of 45
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No, I very much doubt that I would have taken out the loans if my family had told me what the real situation was. But I wasn't given the opportunity to make that choice, so. No, I do not think I should be held liable for the loans. I did not consent to them, and they were taken out under totally false pretenses and hidden from me.

But that's the thing with this student-loan ID theft: did you receive benefit from the stealing of your identity? The answer would have to be yes. I went to the school, not knowing that the money to pay for it had been stolen from me. Had the "gift" they'd given me been a car or other material goods, I could have returned them when I found out the goods were paid for with money stolen from me. No such luck with the college gift.

The best possible outcome is that Citi will allow her to take responsibility for the loans without pursuing her on criminal charges. If they do that, I will help pay them down, but only through her. These loans have been in dispute as long as I've known about them-- never a single payment. I don't know what the hell she was thinking. She is, as I have recently and painfully learned, irrational in her decisions.

If Citi wants me to pay them back for fraudulent loans, I guess they will have to sue me. Fortunately, I guess, I'm very poor. I make enough to live on and live within my means-- but I never thought I'd be socked with $80K in fraudulent debt. I have to pay down the federal loan (another $12K) anyway, and that I will do alone.

Sadly I think you need to do what is best for YOU at this point.

If it was me, I would go to the police station and file the identity theft report and let it go from there as it will. Filing it with citi won't do much and will probably cause more harm to your mother than going the proper channels. They would probably push a DA to file charges vs a police captian.

It may be hard to turn your mother in, but in the end what she did - intentionaly or unintentionally was wrong and you shouldn't be the one who pays for that. I agree you can't just "return" your college education. If you feel as though you want to help your mother and make things right, you could always just start making payments on the loan yes it sucks but if your main goal is to protect your mother then thats what you need to do. If your main goal is to protect yourself then going to the police is the right thing to do.

Sorry your situation just sucks in general.

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 20 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.