Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Horror Stories from NY Times

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loan Horror Stories from NY Times

I was actually thinking about this the other day. It's true, since the recession loads of people have tired to make money off people by making them believe they need this and that qulification. And people are really buying into it. So many people are getting out personal student loans which they are not going to be able to pay back in their current situations. I think there should be improved career orientation help made available.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think we should all be very saddened by this article.  No one is benefiiting from what is happening.  And to think, when I finished my undergraduate degree and graduate program, I had two loans totaling $3,500 (and this wasn't that long ago).  Really puts everything into perspective.

Message 12 of 19
castlefox
Regular Contributor

The article didnt load for me.  But...   that does sound really crappy BUT people need to be more aware of the things they sign for.  I can understand how its a pain in the butt to read all the fine print BUT it needs to be done. 

Ya I didnt finish my undergraduate degree and I had 12,500 worth of debt a year ago.  I got it down to 3,000.   It didnt really feel like I owed that much until I had started to realize how much of my paycheck I would need drain into that debt.

MyFICO score- Equifax - 12.03.11 - 780 Experian 12.03.11 - 763
(FAKO Scores) EXP PLUS Score Dec 2011. 748
Advanced Risk Score 2.0 (NextGen) 793 Dec 2010
Vantage Score (2011) MAR = 771 Jun = 771 Sept= 788 Dec= 773
2012 MAR = 782 JUN=783 Dec = 789
2013 Mar-796 Jun-799 Dec- 797
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

so once the student borrows the money, it stays with them until it is paid off.

I believe there is a 25 year rule where after 25 years, the student loans are automatically forgiven.  Not sure if that is 25 years of payments, or just 25 years from date of loan origination.

Message 14 of 19
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe there is a 25 year rule where after 25 years, the student loans are automatically forgiven.  Not sure if that is 25 years of payments, or just 25 years from date of loan origination.

I'm not saying you are wrong but do you have a source for this?

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 15 of 19
laz98
Senior Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not saying you are wrong but do you have a source for this?

i might be wrong as well, but i believe this is ONLY if you are in the IBR program, and it's after 25 years of on-time payments.

Message 16 of 19
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Both of you are correct. At the Federal Student Aid website it says:

•  

•  

• Income Based Repayment (IBR) Effective July 1, 2009

• Income Based Repayment is a new repayment plan for the major types of federal loans made to students. Under IBR, the required monthly payment is capped at an amount that is intended to be affordable based on income and family size. You are eligible for IBR if the monthly repayment amount under IBR will be less than the monthly amount calculated under a 10-year standard repayment plan. If you repay under the IBR plan for 25 years and meet other requirements you may have any remaining balance of your loan(s) cancelled.

From a BK years ago to:
    EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 17 of 19
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

The topic is near and dear to my heart as mine will be 25 years old in 7 years.  Just about the time for last years of med school.  But there is a plan beyond the IBR as well, right?

My med school loans will be forgiven because I will be a rural family physician (yes, I'd like to do pedi onc but it is highly unlikely that I will get to it at my age)...

Message 18 of 19
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

What are qualifying payments? The Department of Education has indicated that the following types of payments will count towards IBR's 25-year forgiveness period, as long as you are in IBR at some point during those 25 years.

• Payments made in the Income Contingent Repayment plan (ICR) before July 1, 2009.
    • All payments made on or after July 1, 2009 in the IBR, Income Contingent Repayment (ICR), and Standard (10-year) Repayment plans.
    • Periods when the borrower has a calculated payment of zero in IBR or ICR (this occurs when your income is at or below 150% of the poverty level for your family size).
    • Periods on or after July 1, 2009, when the borrower has been granted an economic hardship deferment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So... what I read is that I will qualify due to job loss, economic hardship deferment, forbearances, etc.

The interest has killed me.

Message 19 of 19
    Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.