Crissytenav

Student Loan Interest Rate

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have consolidated my student loans 2 years ago with Federal Student Loan Servicing with a 6.375% interest rate. I use their EFT debit payment service which gave me a rate discount of .25%. My loan balance is $35K. I currently pay $500 a month, which is 2x the amount they bill me.

Is there a way to move this loan to a private institution to receive a lower interest rate? I have an auto loan which is much lower then my student loan.

I feel my only way to pay this faster and pay less in interest is to try to get a higher paying job and pay more on it monthly, or something similar. Which I would have better educated myself before I got myself in this debt situation.

Thank you!

-C

Community Leader<br> Valued Contributor</br>
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
SCF

Re: Student Loan Interest Rate

If you can get a bank to lend you that amount with a lower interest rate, you can certainly use those funds to pay off the student loan.  That said, I wouldn't do it.

Federal student loans have a number of benefits - a variety of payment plans, the ability to defer the loans in certain situations, and the ability to rehabilitate the loan if you default.  A loan from a bank has none of those protections, and will probably also have a shorter term, giving you fewer options if you can't make your payments for a few months or even longer.

Your auto loan has a lower rate because it is a secured loan, the bank can take the car back if you don't pay, so there is a lower risk they will be left with the entire unpaid balance if you default.  A loan to pay off your student loans would be unsecured, and you'll pay for that higher risk in interest.  Unless you have a great credit score and solid relationship with a bank or credit union, I would be surprised to see a lower interest rate than what you have currently.

Crissytenav

Re: Student Loan Interest Rate

Ahh-- thanks SCF, makes sense.

I was just hoping there was something I hadn't thought of, or something a bank offered which would allow me to pay more towards the principal!! 

Haha! Can't say what I would do different! At least I picked a viable area of study!

Thanks for the response!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}