Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Payments & Score Boost

tag
fixmycred14
Established Contributor

Student Loan Payments & Score Boost

Last month, my Direct Loans came out of deferment. I made a payment 3 days before the due date and saw a small score boost. This month, nothing..I thought each month I would see a boost? I GW's Direct Loans to remove a few lates from 2008. I am hoping they will delete the TLs. The loans were sold and I have no further business with Direct Loans.

I have another loan that just came out of deferment and I made the payment 2 days ago. Will I see a score boost from this recent payment?

So, you only get a boost with the first payment after it comes out of deferment? Going forward, nothing?

Starting Score: FICO TU 591 FICO EX 581 FICO EQ 555
Current Score: FICO TU 662 FICO EX 652 FICO EQ 643
Goal Score: 700 CLUB

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge NFCU nRewards $20K Cap1 Secured $500 NFCU LOC $15K TJX $250 BOA $500
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Student Loan Payments & Score Boost

Your score boost probably wasn't directly related to the change in loan status or the on-time payment.  Deferred loans don't hurt your credit, they count the same as any other installment loan that is being "paid as agreed."  You probably saw a small boost from a change in your average age of accounts and the fact that you overall had another positive month of credit history added to your report.

The changes from making on-time payments accumulate gradually, so you may see a small gain one month and then no moves for another couple months.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.