cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Payoff with Balance Transfer: Any Experience?

tag
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Student Loan Payoff with Balance Transfer: Any Experience?

I am fortunate enough to have about $30K to pay off my student loan balances. I would like to make some $$ or points from that. My student loan servicer does not accept credit card payments.

I have enough of a limit on my Discover Card and Capital One card to transfer the balances from the student loan accounts and then pay off  the CC in full. This will allow me to earn 1% (Discover) and 1.5% (Capital One) cash back respecctively.

Has anybody done this or have any thoughts to share? Seems like it should be pretty straightforward but wanted to make sure. Both Discover and Capital One confirms that there would not be a balance transfer fee!

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: Student Loan Payoff with Balance Transfer: Any Experience?

Cash back cards do not pay points nor cash back on balance transfers.  It's only charges.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 2 of 4
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

That is a bummer then

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 3 of 4
Tazman81
Established Contributor

I know.  And with most cards, there is a fee to do a balance transfer that would outweight any cashback being offered.  Most start at a minimum of 3%.

Now, there are some credit unions that offer promotions for doing a balance transfer, and many credit unions do not charge a balance transfer fee.  For example, Chartway Federal Credit Union has a VISA card where they are offering a 3% credit on a balance transfer up to $300.  And they do not charge a balance transfer fee.  Only thing with this, is that you would have to be a member with a credit card with them with a high ennough limit.

So, you may want to check some credit unions in your area, but be very careful with this because with balance transfers and cash advances the interest starts to accrue immediately.  There is no grace period like with charges.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.