Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Problems! Help!

tag
CreditStudent1981
Valued Member

Student Loan Problems! Help!

Good Afternoon Everyone!

I must say I enjoy the wealth of information on these boards and have made lots of improvements thanks to some of the wisdom shown here and through the grace of God.

I have quite the problem right now and hopefully some can help.
In 2004, I took an online course and qualified for Financial Aid. To my surprise, I learn years later that the school "sent" the money back to my guarantor thus creating a bill for me in their system. All the meanwhile, this same guarantor put me in "defaulted status". Since then, i have paid the guarantor in full. I am trying to get a mortgage loan but the TL from school is reporting that i owe them money. Long story short, the school wants me to pay them for the class, but I technically have already paid for the class with the guarantor(the school says they sent back the money).
Do I have a leg to stand on with the school? I assume that I do as the guarantor has been paid and has no record of the school sending back the money.

Chase Freedom ($700), PFCU ($4k), Capital One ($750), Sears/CapitalOneJr. ($420)

Gardening until scores hit 700.
Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loan Problems! Help!

So the guarantor got paid, and has no record of the school returning the payment?

Can you get that in writing?  Do you have documentation of your payments to the loan company?  If you do, I would send that info to the school.

You should not have to double pay for this student loan.  If the guarantor got paid by you, and the school returned the money, then really the guarantor owes the school.  Could it be one of those schools that is a scam?

This may be a long road of Attorney General, FTC, and BBB complaints.  This is a really tough one.

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

So the guarantor got paid, and has no record of the school returning the payment?

Can you get that in writing?  Do you have documentation of your payments to the loan company?  If you do, I would send that info to the school.

You should not have to double pay for this student loan.  If the guarantor got paid by you, and the school returned the money, then really the guarantor owes the school.  Could it be one of those schools that is a scam?

This may be a long road of Attorney General, FTC, and BBB complaints.  This is a really tough one.

Message 2 of 3
CreditStudent1981
Valued Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

You are correct that the guarantor does not have a record of the school sending back the money. I could get a payment detail from my guarantor which will solve half the problem. ( I am in the process of doing that). I agree that i shouldnt have to pay twice and the issue really is between the school and the guarantor. 

BTW, the school that I am dealing with is University of Phoenix. 

I really hope this will not be too complicated as the proof i posess clears everything up.

Chase Freedom ($700), PFCU ($4k), Capital One ($750), Sears/CapitalOneJr. ($420)

Gardening until scores hit 700.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.