Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Question

tag
elm84
Contributor

Student Loan Question

I have around 16,000 in SL that are deferred while I am in school.. If I start paying on them now will it look better on my credit.. I am hoping to have it paid prior to graduation or should i just let it kept reporting OK as the 16,000 balance

Gardening what I got til Holiday Season 2014
Hoping for a couple 1k+ cards one day
Capital One Secured 300 | Capital One Platinum 300 | Discover It Secured 200 | First Premier 400 | Finger Hut 500 | Victoria Secret 350 | Express 250 |
Dream Cards | Discover It | Chase Sapphire - Slate - Freedom | Amex Everyday Card

Scores | Starting 09/2013 ~ 574 | Current ~ 600 | Goal ~ 720 |
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Student Loan Question

In terms of your credit score, it doesn't really matter.  The loan will show paid as agreed during the deferrment whether you make extra payments or not.  Paying it off early may save you some money by reducing the amount of interest that you pay.  I would look at what you have in unsubsidized loans and what the interest rate is so you can do a little math and determine if you want to make payments as you go or hang on to that money until the loans come due so that you have it for emergencies or other purchases.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.