Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Question

tag
Biffman49

Student Loan Question

Hi all,

First post here - so I've been in the process of rebuilding my credit so that I can buy a home. I really only had a couple of negatives on my credit report; high (99%) credit utilization, 1 item in collections, and 1 of my student loan payments is 120+ days late.

Now, I've paid off my credit cards entirely, got the collections account deleted, and I'm left with 1 late student loan payment. Don't need to get into details about why it has been late, but it's safe to say that of my entire student loan debt ($26k+) my loan that is late is about $2k total.

My question is this - I'm trying to buy a home soon, like in the next couple of months. Should I call the loan company directly, suggest I can pay in full immediately in exchange for them deleting the 120+ day late payments (I have enough spare change to do this), or should I just start paying as agreed and see what happens. I'm not even sure if it's possible for them to delete the late payment record, but it was a thought.

What are thoughts on this? It's really my last obstacle to being able to purchase a home, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Student Loan Question

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.