Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Rehab... Absolute Mess

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loan Rehab... Absolute Mess

Quick question, can Sallie Mae report lates on a loan that is being reabilitated?

Several of my student loans were defaulted and closed 09/12. I began rehabilitation on 1/13, completed rehab on 11/13. Sallie Mae picked up my consolidated loan on 1/14 and dated positve payment history all the way back to 10/13. I disputed the older closed loans on 3/14 in order to get the lates removed from my old tradelines and, of course, that didnt work and they came back verified with no lates removed. When they came back verified, my score dropped 43 points! I thought, damm... thats the last time I ever dispute something. I recently found that the point drop was from Sallie Mae reporting a 120 day late on 10/13 for all of the accounts that were defaulted and closed on 09/12.

How should I go about this to get the quickest resolution?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
davidsl

Re: Student Loan Rehab... Absolute Mess

Contact the office of SM Customer Advocate and plead (plead!!!) your case.  My phone is dead so I can't get the phone # for you right now. You can look it up online - it's not toll free, it's a PA phone # so you might want to use your cell. They're available only during regular working hours and not especially easy to get to but worth the trouble!!! You can likely find the # at Consumerist.com by using the search function. I have a LONG and tortured history with SM (WHO DOESN'T??). My best advice: be VERY humble! Good luck.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. The only number I could find was an 888 number, but its woth a try. Im pretty sure that they are in the wrong here. My rehabed loan was dispursed on 10/13, how can they possibly report all the old loans as 120 late on 10/13?

Message 3 of 4
davidsl

Oh that's right too, they did add the toll-free # some time back... 888 545 4199, is that what you have? From my own experience: you will have to leave a message and someone will get in touch to get your story. It won't necessarily be an Advocate (you may have to wait for one to be assigned to you).

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.