Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Rehab w/Consolidation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loan Rehab w/Consolidation

I'm in the process of getting a mortgage on a new construction loan, but I am in default in the amount of $1,300 on Perkins loans. My total student loan debt is like $60K. 

I cannot remember which agency had the defaulted student loans, but when I called them they were really nice and told me I could either do the payment plan for 6mo (guessing because the amount was so low), OR, do a consolidation. 

I was told if I did the consolidation, the accounts would be deleted from my credit report, and it would be okay for me to use funding to continue my classes. I specifically asked if everything would be deleted as in there would be no history of this ever happening on my report, and was told "yes, that is correct". 

I applied for the consolidation on February 28, and received an email on March 2 that FedLoan has my application and I should hear something via email within 3-4 weeks.

When I look on my credit report, it says the following:

* DeVry - $800; Date Opened Mar 2013; Open - Account seriously past due/account assigned to collection agency or collection department

Worst Delinquency - Collection; 1-30 day late, 1-60 day late, 22-90 day late

* DeVry -  $500; Date Opened Feb 2011; Open - Account seriously past due/account assigned to collection agency or collection department

Worst Delinquency - Collection; 0-30 day late, 1-60 day late, 26-90 day lates

From your experience, does this sound correct? I want the account deleted because of the negative payment history, which is why I chose consolidation. BUT, if that information stays, I could have just paid the balance in full. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loan Rehab w/Consolidation

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm in the process of getting a mortgage on a new construction loan, but I am in default in the amount of $1,300 on Perkins loans. My total student loan debt is like $60K. 

I cannot remember which agency had the defaulted student loans, but when I called them they were really nice and told me I could either do the payment plan for 6mo (guessing because the amount was so low), OR, do a consolidation. 

I was told if I did the consolidation, the accounts would be deleted from my credit report, and it would be okay for me to use funding to continue my classes. I specifically asked if everything would be deleted as in there would be no history of this ever happening on my report, and was told "yes, that is correct". 

I applied for the consolidation on February 28, and received an email on March 2 that FedLoan has my application and I should hear something via email within 3-4 weeks.

When I look on my credit report, it says the following:

* DeVry - $800; Date Opened Mar 2013; Open - Account seriously past due/account assigned to collection agency or collection department

Worst Delinquency - Collection; 1-30 day late, 1-60 day late, 22-90 day late

* DeVry -  $500; Date Opened Feb 2011; Open - Account seriously past due/account assigned to collection agency or collection department

Worst Delinquency - Collection; 0-30 day late, 1-60 day late, 26-90 day lates

From your experience, does this sound correct? I want the account deleted because of the negative payment history, which is why I chose consolidation. BUT, if that information stays, I could have just paid the balance in full. 

This is incorrect, and you likely misinterpreted what they said.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/default/get-out

"...consolidation of a defaulted loan does not remove the record of the default from your credit history."

Rehabilitation is the only process that removes record of default. Neither will remove record of deliquency.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.