cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Rehabilitation And The Effect On Tradelines

tag
Tennis700

Re: Student Loan Rehabilitation And The Effect On Tradelines

This is to FicoTron - I don't know if you still visit this site from time to time to see what you have created. But for all of us who have been watching and who reading your journey and all those who came after you - a heartfelt - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! 

I just finished my last payment on my rehab on 9/15/13 - 2 days later contacted CA who reported receiving payment. I then asked them to note in the system called "titanium" that loan has qualified for full rehab. Then contacted DOE who received notation that completed rehab and was noted by CA. I allowed 3 days to go by - contacted DOE again who said my loan has already been picked up by FedLoans and they will contact me about further payments.  Yesterday, 9/24/13, disputed ONLINE to all 3 credit bureas the following "LOAN HAS BEEN FULLY REHABBED, INCORRECT STATUS OR PAYMENTS, PLEASE REMOVE". Today, 9/25/13 - Transunion DELETED - I repeat DELETED - all 3 tradelines.  Still waiting on the other 2. There is no need to wait for the DOE to contact the credit bureas - once the DOE acknowledges they have noted in your account that you are rehabbed - go online and dispute it!

I will pull my credit scores in a couple of weeks again thru Credit Karma and Credit Sesame (this is where you can get your free credit scores for TransU and Exp) and I will report what I find - FINGERS CROSSED!!

Message 661 of 880
Viaggiatore

I began this process about a year ago, with my first rehab payment on 9/25/12 and my Score Watch at 485.  A month later I applied and was accepted for my first credit card in years (Cap 1, unsecurred, $300 credit limit).  I successfully finished my 9 monthly payments, and though it took awhile to get picked up I am now with a new lender.  

When I finished my rehab my Score Watch was about 620, and I then disputed all of my old student loan tradelines across the 3 bureaus.  My score immediately dropped, but in the 30 days that followed 5 of the 7 derogs were either deleted or saw a more complementary note reported.  That said, my Score Watch now puts my score at about 640.  So, not too much of a gain, but I imagine once my payments of $1,100 a month start reporting and I further distance myself from the difficulties of the past I'll see further increases.

That said, I've been waiting to apply for another credit card (not because I need it, but because I want something else reporting) until the rehab was complete, and yesterday I applied for the Apple Barclay's card and was approved with a $2,000 limit.  That made me happy.  And, by contrast, my year old Cap 1 account, never late, is stuck at $500 even though my Credit score is now about 160 points higher than when they approved me at $300.

So, a year later, I'm in a much better position, heading up a little every month.  The only thing I really wonder about is how on Earth I managed to get a $15,000 credit limit during my 8 years of college, with no income what so ever, and now am esctatic about $2,000 while earning 6 figures...

Keep up the good work everyone! 

Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
Message 662 of 880
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

Keep at it everyone!  My rehab was completed in AUG and loans picked up by NELNET quickly thereafter.  I looked at my credit reports and the new TLs are there but the old ones from Direct Loans are still reporting 120+ late for like ten tradelines.  The accounts are listed as OPEN so I disputed them.  Do you think this is grounds to have them removed? THANKS

Starting Score April 2013: 556
Current Score March 2014: 682
Goal Score Soon (-: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 663 of 880
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

I finished my rehab last month, and I already noticed that the old TL for my loans were deleted from my EX report but still show up on TU. Is it that the reporting agencies have their own timeline of deletion? Should I get in touch with TU? Any advice would be great! Thanks

Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex BCE($5K), Amex Hilton($1K), NavCheck ($15K), NFCU CR Siggy($20K), USAA Amex($7K), USAA World MC($7K), CSP($2.3K), Chase Marriott($1.8K), Care Credit($2.5K), Cap1 QS($3.5K), VS($500), Cap1 Secure($200) Starting Scores(Jan 2013): FICO EQ: 643, TU: 552, EX: 567 Current Scores(Sept. 2016): FICO EQ: 672, TU: 703(?), EX: 682 In the Garden FOR-EV-ER!!!!! Cards and goals achieved! Let's grow and mature these babies!!!
Message 664 of 880
SCF
Valued Contributor

@tfkallday wrote:

Keep at it everyone!  My rehab was completed in AUG and loans picked up by NELNET quickly thereafter.  I looked at my credit reports and the new TLs are there but the old ones from Direct Loans are still reporting 120+ late for like ten tradelines.  The accounts are listed as OPEN so I disputed them.  Do you think this is grounds to have them removed? THANKS

The accounts should be marked as closed/transferred and any remarks indicating the default "insurance claim filed with government," "default," "in collections" etc. should be removed.  While disputing might remove the tradeline depending on how the creditor decides to verify the information, it may just change the status and update the remarks.

Message 665 of 880
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

Just to give an update, EQ deleted 9/10 Trade lines! Thanks guys!!!!!!!!! from 591 to 622 in two days

Message 666 of 880
CHick

Hey Everyone,

I found this forum back in January 2013, with default letters piling up it gave me a glimmer of hope that I could get out from my past mistakes and start over.  I started my rehab on 2/15/13 with ACT, servicing my defaulted AES/PNC loans.    I also took up some advice from other forums on my fico and opened a secured CC from dollar bank($500CL) and started to pay off smaller collection accounts with settlements in writing to have it marked paid in full or with some removing the lates all together(geiko insurance).  My final payment was on 10/15/2013, on 10/24/13 I received a letter that my loans were sold to AES REHAB and that my next payment would be due 12/15/2013.  I know there has been a lot of back and forth about the TL for the lates being removed and I haven't seen anything about anyone in my particular situation. My original loans were through AES/PNC,  I defaulted on 06/2009 on my three loans and they were transferred to AES/PHEAA, Then they were transferred to ACT for Servicing.  My loans were then "sold" to AES Rehab.  I know that a lot of people with FFEL (not direct loans) were having trouble getting lates removed, but I'm wondering if since my servicer/ guarantee / owner hasn't changed since my loans were originated if the new TL would go back to the original date of the loan.  I checked on the NSLDC and they are now marked out of default and on AES's system I now have 2 accts for each loan both reporting the same dates, one with a default and on that says in repayment.  I was just seeing if anyone has been in a similar situation and if the original loan will be replace entirely. 

Credit Scores:

11/22/11 EQ:586  EX:574  TU:531  (CreditXpert)

10/5/12   TU:497(lender)

3/10/13   EX:  505(lender)

5/30/13   TU:  527 (TUI)

10/02/13 EQ:575(lender)

10/13/13 EX: 550(lender)

10/30/13 EQ: 602(myfico)

11/4/13    EQ: 614(myfico)

Message 667 of 880
NewCredit2014

Hello fello AES borrower!

Sorry for the late reply as I see that your orignial post was in November. I have actually the same exact scenario as you. Originally had defaulted loans through AES. I entered the loan rehabilitation program in March 13. I just completed my reba program as of 12/13. I was notified by mail that my loans will now be serviced by AES/ REHAB. What sort of resolution have you found in regards to your situation?

My main concern is that the severly late marks are still  on my credit report. It will make a significant impact if that is something that can be fixed, or deleted once a new rehabbed account opens. Please let me know if you have any input.

Thanks!!

Message 668 of 880
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

I just wanted to update you guys on my story.  Every last derog from all my previously defaulted student loans has been deleted.  All defaults, all lates, etc etc.  They have all been deleted.  The last one I am working on is my Perkins through my school.  I have completed rehab just waiting for the school to report this so.  And I am staying on them about it too!

Message 669 of 880
buff171010

I used to work on the DOE contract.  I believe only DOE tradelines are removed.  If the loan was with a different lender then that history is still there.  There are many different lenders and guarantors with student loans.  Most loans are backed by DOE and get sold to them at some point after they go into default.

Message 670 of 880
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.