Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Rehabilitation And The Effect On Tradelines

tag
KeepingOn
Established Member

Re: Student Loan Rehabilitation And The Effect On Tradelines

I completed my rehab about two weeks ago and was hoping to get some much needed info. Immediately upon completion, my neg student loan trade lines were updated to paid but still show all negatives. One week later, the new loan appeared and my scores dropped! When should I expect the bad info to be gone before attempting to dispute?
Message 751 of 880
SCF
Valued Contributor

@KeepingOn wrote:
I completed my rehab about two weeks ago and was hoping to get some much needed info. Immediately upon completion, my neg student loan trade lines were updated to paid but still show all negatives. One week later, the new loan appeared and my scores dropped! When should I expect the bad info to be gone before attempting to dispute?

Did the update remove all of the references to the default?  Have the remarks like "paid by government insurance" or "in collections" been removed?  If so, that it is all that the lender is required to remove.  The lates that led up to the default can remain on your report until they age off.  Sometimes it can take up to 60-90 days for the default remarks to be updated and removed.

Message 752 of 880
KeepingOn
Established Member

Ok, just confused bc many on here have cited all bad stuff, late marks included have been removed after rehab. Guess I'll have to see.
Message 753 of 880
SCF
Valued Contributor

@KeepingOn wrote:
Ok, just confused bc many on here have cited all bad stuff, late marks included have been removed after rehab. Guess I'll have to see.

Some lenders do remove all of the negative remarks, others do not.  Sometimes it seems to depend on if the same lender that held the loans originally picks up your loans to service them after the rehab.

Message 754 of 880
martinsoka17
Contributor

Still. Waiting. Sallie Mae has yet to report positive tradelines despite two EARLY payments and having had my loans since April. I now am faced with trying to explain my messy credit to my potential landlord. I don't want to dispute my old tradelines until the new one has reported, but I'm desperate at this point.
Starting Score: 523

Current Scores: EQ: 705 TU: 757 EX: 764

Goal Scores: 800 across the board

in the garden until 2019!
Message 755 of 880
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

Is it the same situation if US Dept of Ed sold my loan to Mohela? I show 100% perfect payment history with Mohela but have 120 day late on my US Dept of Education loan. I wrote a GW letter to them this weekend and I'm hoping to get either the late payments removed or the entire TL removed, although that would severely hurt my AAoA I believe since I got that loan 15 years ago.

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 756 of 880
martian

Over time all of the negative information on my defaulted student loans disappeared. Now FED LOAN Servicing owns and manages all of my loans. They are all current and I am still in school.  I had dropped out in the late 1990's then went back in 2010. It took a year to bring my loans current and for the negative information to straighten itself out.

American Express Green CardBlue Cash Everyday CardBarclay Apple Rewards Financing VisaUS Bank Platinum
Message 757 of 880
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@fedor wrote:

I just began the rehabilitation program for my student loans. The first payment I submitted was made with a debit card and I was charged a $6 fee. I can save those $6 each time I make a payment by setting up auto-payments from my checking/savings account. 

So my question is, how many of you setup auto-payments that are taking automatically from a checking/savings? Just feeling a bit weary about it, since it is a collection agency and all. Though, I do plan on making all payments on time.

I definitely set up automatic payments with my rehab because out of sight, out of mind. I also set it up with my pay checks so that it DEFINITELY comes out lol. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 758 of 880
MomToNia

Update. My loans have been removed and according to Credit Karma my Transunion score went up 41 points and my "Vantage Score" went up 71 points. I'm no longer in the "very poor" range, I've gone to the "poor" range. I recently also opened a secured CC with Capitol One.

I have 3 different collections on my report that equal to about $1000. I am going to pay one every month. I am sending out PFD letters just to see what happens. I am wondering if my credit score will increase when I remove the first collection? Or will it only increase when I remove all 3 collections? 

Message 759 of 880
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump

Message 760 of 880
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.