Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Rehabilitation And The Effect On Tradelines

tag
ch8ngeurstars
New Contributor

Re: Student Loan Rehabilitation And The Effect On Tradelines

UPDATE....

You will notice below that i have updated my scores. In particular I have updated my FICO which has increased exactly 83 pts to date. 83 PTS!!!! WOOHOO!!! Thats just the first increase. There are still two tradelines that need to be removed off my Equifax CR so I'm hoping for another jump at the end of this month. My original lender was Sallie Mae. Then my loans were bought and consolidated by AES (American Education Services). So in answer to apandabears question, not only did the AES TL's get removed but also the Sallie Mae ones. More to come at the end of the month. My update will probably be later than that because my wife and I are moving to Florida so we'll be kind of busy but I will definitely update you guys in the early part of December. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 549

Current Scores:

Goal Score:

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 351 of 880
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

Congrats to you! I just got information that my loan is suppose to be transfer to new lender on November 19. Praying that I have the same success as you did! No changes on credit reports yet. My loan was with Edfinancial, then HESC to over the loan and I just paid my 9th payment in October. Hopefully by the end of the month I see a change.

Mcu_platinum_cardDiscoverQuicksilverAmazonFreedomSapphirePenFed_Credit_Union_Power_Cash_CardAMEX_BCPDeltaHhiltonAmex_platinumAppleNavy PlatinumCash rewardsNavy Platinum

Message 352 of 880
apandabear
Regular Contributor

@ch8ngeurstars wrote:

UPDATE....

My original lender was Sallie Mae. Then my loans were bought and consolidated by AES (American Education Services). So in answer to apandabears question, not only did the AES TL's get removed but also the Sallie Mae ones. More to come at the end of the month. My update will probably be later than that because my wife and I are moving to Florida so we'll be kind of busy but I will definitely update you guys in the early part of December. Smiley Happy

Wow, you're having better luck with the Sallie Mae tradelines than I am.

I noticed today my original Sallie Mae TL on my Experian report was altered a bit. Status changed from the default/paid by gov't to "Transferred/Closed." I pulled my annual free report to see the full payment history (USAA only shows 2 years) and they had NOT changed the payment history. BUMMER. But I was prepared for that anyway.

And time for something strange!

I got a letter from USA Funds (dated Nov 1) congratulating me on finishing rehab, yadda yadda, we have a new lender for you, blah blah... It's ACS...

ACS??!?! What? I just made a payment to Sallie Mae. They are reporting on my new loans. Even NSLDS is showing Sallie Mae as the lender. 

Color me confused. 

So unless ACS sends me something, I'm going to ignore that. How weird. Did someone get their lender codes mixed up when filling in my robo-letter??

But all in all, slow progress with the TLs. I'm happy to be done with rehab, and glad my loans were picked up so quickly. Currently paying $20 over the minimum just as an interest cushion, plus it's closer to what I was paying the collection agency. 

2009-10 - C/Os
2011 - Debts paid, no open credit
2012 - Rebuilding started, secured cards opened, SL rehabbed - EQ myFICO 636
2014 - 10k Discover, 3.5k Freedom, AmEx Green, SL, Auto Loan - EQ myFICO 695
Message 353 of 880
ash4life
New Contributor

Hey, Pitch!! 

What kind of student loans did you have? I had it with Citibank, defaulted, then Sallie got it, defaulted, the the dept of ed has it and I'm doing the rehab now and have 5 months to go.What exatly did they get rid of in your trade lines? I'm hoping my score gets up high enough to get a mortgage in spring or ealry summer. How may points did you jump?

Thanks, Pitch!!

Message 354 of 880
kjel
Established Contributor

This thread is a great wealth of info and I am glad to have found it. I am in the middle of rehabilitating my Direct Loans which are currently being serviced by CBE Group. So far the payments have been posting ($50/month on $100K) and finally I see them on the myeddebt.com website since the payments go to DOE. Hoping that I get a boost in score once the loans are rehabbed and picked up again by Direct Loans. I still have a big hill to climb with my credit due to the one-two punch of being unemployed last year and an uninsured cancer diagnosis last year but little by little as they say. Thankfully, this year has been much better-healthy and employed Smiley Happy

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 355 of 880
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

Kjel, Your story is similar to mine.  I just made my 6th payment to CBE group.  I finish up in February.  I also had cancer and was uninisured.  Luckily, I beat it and now private pay my insurance to be sure I never get in that situation again.

My loans are slightly higher than yours at $120,000 but my payments are much much higher than yours at $1248 a month.  I have three payments left.  It is being reported on 4 tradelines which is completely inaccurate - I only have two loans as I consolidated them 8 years ago.  CBE said that Dept of Ed would make sure to delete the two duplicate and erase all lates etc once I am done with rehab.  I was going to contest them with the credit bureaus but decided against it since it really wouldn't make a difference until the rehab was done anyways.

June '12: EQ 553 TU 0 EX 545
April '13 Lender Pull EQ 731, EX 692, TU 722 - all FICO

Closed on home May 22, 2013 at 2:00pm!!!
CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
What's been deleted: 32 collections, 5 PR, 2 tax liens, defaulted student loans
Message 356 of 880
cem13
Established Contributor

I have an update. I have a new servicernow and made my first payment to them. The NSLDS has me in "repayment" status. I called DOE again and requested a manager. The first line Customer Service person was completely inept.

The manager looked up my file and confirmed 1) that i re-habbed and havw been picked up by a new servicer and 2) the NSLDS does not show default. Great news right? WRONG.

She has to send a note to the default group to get it confirmed. Im not kidding that is what she said. It takes up to 10 days.

I asked her for this groups phone number and she said that they dont accept calls from internal or external sources.

Now i am really angry. I snapped and did my whole "i love my country but hate my government" routine and "we are intelligent people why cant we elect leaders who will fix issues like this" and "does any of this make sense to you? because it doesnt to me." She admitted that she knows the system is broke but she is only "one" person and most people at DOE are typical civil servents: all they care about is a payceck. They dont care about us.

That made me feel better but the problem remains: i have trade lines showing "paid in default: closed". So the epic battle of good vs evil continues. Can Evil wear down the Good until they give up? Or will Good keep the faith and continue to fight on and never surrender? the answer may be known on the next episode of The Government Sux.
FICO 08 JUL23: TU 850; EQ 846; EX 843. Clean since BK7 D/C 6/2011.
Message 357 of 880
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Why can't Nelnet be good to past trade lines? Rehabbed or not, they do not adjust any previous history.

Message 358 of 880
cem13
Established Contributor

Final Update:

Today I spent over 2 hours on the phone with DOE.  Here is what I have.  I had 3 loans in 2005.  I defaulted in 2009.  DOE Default Services Group takes control of defaulted loans.  They are responsible for collection, so they add a second set of tradelines for the collections portion.

After the 9th payment, the collections tradelines were removed.  I was picked up and now pay a servicer.  The original tradelines are now being reported at "Paid in collections" with all the key derogs.

So that is it.  I am not sure how some people get both tradelines deleted but only the collections tradelines are supposed to be deleted.

On a good note, there was an error on a tax lein that I disputed.  The lein was from Jan 2010 and paid in June 2012.  Instead of fixing the error, they just deleted the tradeline.  FICO score jumped 15 points.

FICO 08 JUL23: TU 850; EQ 846; EX 843. Clean since BK7 D/C 6/2011.
Message 359 of 880
kjel
Established Contributor

@Kathy4NU: I am glad that your health is on the mend too. Thankfully I now have employer based coverage with no exclusions for the pre-existing conditions now and supplemental disability insurance that I can take with me if I leave the employer. After CBE basically stalked me for a few weeks without leaving messages, I received a letter from them that they had picked up the loans from DoE. They were pretty easy to deal with and offered me $12/month for 9 months based on my last year's tax return and change in family status (new husband and new baby!). That felt a little chintzy since I have a decent income now to $50 it was. I am hopeful that the post rehab process will go smoothly and the DoE lines go to a paid never late status. Keep us updated on how they perform on this end!

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 360 of 880
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.