cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan Rehabilitation (Expected credit score increase?)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loan Rehabilitation (Expected credit score increase?)

Message 91 of 101
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I wanted to share my story. I know this post dates back kind of far. But I just found it! lol

SO, I entered the rehab program after hearing all the benifits it had from a relative. i completed it May2016, however because the payments had been on autopay, I completelty forgot all about it. I didnt really understand what I was doing in the first place. I thought It only rehabed one of my loans, and the other 4 would be in a negative state so I didnt pay much mind to it. Jump to August 2016 I applied for a mortage. I had worked hard on my credit for a year. (yes one year, I found all the tricks and applied them) I got approved with conditions, I had loans in default that had to be current. I cried because I knew I could not do that any time soon. I almost gave up but something just told me to call the peoples because they had also got me for taxes last year, so I had already considered consolidation anyway. So I did what no other person has done before and actually called my creditors (laugh here) long story short the man tells me, why do  you want to consolidate? you rehabed your loans then explained to me exactly what that meant. He said it was complet five months ago, and the only reason it had not been processed is because I needed to sign a piece of paper. SO obvioulsy I faxed back and for forth with him to complete the paperwork IMMEDIATLY!! LOL. He said it was early August so my claim would go out that month instead of the next month, and to expect it to go out on the 29th and to be picked up about two weeks later. I got an email from Navient on Sept 7th just like they said. I set up my account online, and due to the endless amount of stories I read on here, I disputed all line items on my credit report. Today 9/26/2016 I notice about a week and a half ago, that eight line items are not showing up on my report when I check fico.com and credit karma. I only have 4... I had 12 from transfers and whatnot. the four i have, two are greatlakes which shows late payments. I heard they wont remove those Im not sure yet as my dispute does not end until Oct 10. the other two are closed accounts that got transferred but show no late payments and have a status of current... they also just made the 7 year mark, so I was not sure if I should fight to have them removed or not... On my next report Navient should show up with the new loan info. Im nervous to see if they will back date positve payments for the entire history like other people have said, or will it just be current. either way I feel totoally blessed. As soon as that report hits, Im back to the mortage company with NO DOUBTS.... my credit score Jumbed 55 points on one and 23 points on another already according to MYFICO, I am assuming due to those line items seemingly being gone. I made sure I paid off all my credit cards to help my score be as high as it can In oct. I will update when I have more news. 

Message 92 of 101
Anonymous
Not applicable

i rehabbed 7 student loans 2 months ago.they was all from navient,after rehab i dispted original loan lates and the collections,all collections come off all 3 credit agencys quick,equifax removed all the lates from navient and added all good 7 accounts,experian removed the status of 120 days late to unknown,but stll shows lates on the little calender on account,they put 7 new navient accounts in good standings from original date,think the lates still hurt me on that,transunion has 7 new accounts from navient goodstandings,but still have all 7 120 days late on all of the original navients,ive tried disputes,goodwill letters,everything ive found on here,nothing works wish i could find some more things to help.on this forum it says they have to remove lates cause of higher education act,trying to research it and find out,if anyonee has advice how i can get the lates off original loan defaults please share thanks

Message 93 of 101
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll be able to fully pay off two defaulted loans with a gift I just received. Would this have the same effect of removing negative ratings from my reports as going through the rehab process? I get with the rehab process that you can continue to build credit by paying off the loans over time, but I'd rather get it done in one fell swoop and want the defaulted loans to stop negatively affecting my report.

Message 94 of 101
Anonymous
Not applicable

i was going to pay off some loans when they was in collections being rehabbed and my research said dont cause it would kill my credit,so i didnt,but they also said after rehabb all neg info will come off,all my original student loans with the lates from default are still on all 3 reports,got some off but they did come back.some people get theirs off after rehab and some dont,guess is just luck.but ceo of navient student loan said he was gona remove all assigned to the govement on all the loans which should help me,

Message 95 of 101
Anonymous
Not applicable

"AN ALTERNATIVE TO WAITING:  ECMC literally told me that once I make my last payment, contact each credit agency and dispute the ECMC/student loan charges on my credit report.  By law, both ECMC/student loan companies will have to update your credit report within 30 days of you filing or the negative reports will automatically fall of your credit report.The lady at ECMC says that she sees people use the disputing method as a quicker way to get their credit report updated. 

On 10/9 I plan to dispute the ECMC/student loan reports on my credit report.  I will update you my findings and also let you know how much my score improved when they were removed."

Has anyone got a copy of a successful dispute draft?  Mine will be up in Sept/Oct as well, I'm anxious to knock as much negative off my report as possible!  Mine was passed from SallieMae to Navient to ECMC ... is there a way to get the Navient off as well?

Thanks in advance.

Message 96 of 101
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could someone please share a link to the dispute process forum. I've hear it referenced many times in this thread but can't seem to find it in the forums. Thanks in advance!
Message 97 of 101
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read somewhere on these forums to dispute equfax and TransUnion online, and experian via telephone. Anyway, I have only gotten around to complete equifax, and I said "I have completed loan rehabilitation and any negative information should be removed." I did this for each loan. I had 8. They completely removed the old US dept of education accounts and my score went up 36 points. I have not yet disputed the lates from several years ago that are still being reported. My report also shows that I have 0 missed payments though so I'm a not sure about that part honestly.
Message 98 of 101
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,
I'm in this same process. Since you went through this process back in 2009, I am curious to know what was your end result. Are you now a successfully a homeowner?
Thank you
Message 99 of 101
wife2froggy
Contributor

For what it's worth, I just called Dep't of Ed (I have one rehab payment left.)

Currently, Fed Loan Servicing is showing 7 derogs with 0 balances. Dept of Ed is showing 7 derogs with full balances, showing I've not made any payments at all this year. WFS is showing the same 7 loans in good standing. I'd disputed the Fed Loan Servicing... they ended up zeroing the balance but remaining on my credit.

She told me:

1. As soon as they receive the letter stating rehab is complete the loans will no longer be in default and they will delete all records of themselves off my credit. The Dep't of Ed only handles defaulted loans and since they will technically no longer be defaulted they don't have anything to do with them.

2. Dispute the records as soon as that last payment is made.

I can't wait for this to be over! I have been pristine on my payments for 1 full year on my CCs, personal loan and auto loan. Those defaulted SLs are the only negatives left on my credit (except for a couple of medical collections that are being fought between 2 insurance companies) and I so very much want to buy a house!

(I've become a bit credit obsessed. I'm guessing every newb on the forum is)

On the road!
FICO 8 6/15/17 EQ 591 // TU 570 // EX 606

FICO 8 03/15/2021 EQ 702 // TU 700 // EX 699
Message 100 of 101
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.