cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan balance exceeds originally borrowed amount. Fico effect?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loan balance exceeds originally borrowed amount. Fico effect?

Hello! I have never been late with my student loans. My loan is in current and never late status. However, due to having past aproved forbeadances and deferrments, my balance may soon go over originally borrowed amount. Will this negatively affect my fico credit score or I am fine making minimum payments? Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: Student Loan balance exceeds originally borrowed amount. Fico effect?

No, it will have no affect on your FICO score.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! But isn't it like going over credit limit?

Message 3 of 7
ebenbow

I would disagree.  It will have an effect on your credit score.  I actually have that exact issue reporting as a hurting my score on my credit report that I got from this site.  I dont know how much it actually affects the score.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!

My current credit scores are as follows:

Eq. 779
Exp. 768
TU 757

Are these good or I need to make some improvements?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 7
Travis-84
Regular Contributor

Were getting a bit off topic, but I guess it is your own thread were derailing.

Those are very very good fico scores.  You would almost certainly get the lowest rate possible on any loan you applied for, but where did you get the scores from?  If the TU, and Equifax came from this site, then you can trust those scores, but if the scores came from other sites, there is a possibility they are not your true credit scores, which means your actual score could be lower or higher.  SInce this is the student loan section, its probably best we stick to questions on student loans though, and post new discussions in a different subforum. 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had my private student loan and that went $7000 over the intial balance due to interest balance. I had Wamu CC that showed my score (don't know what score was that) but that score always went up. I just started paying my loan and my scores are mid to high 700's (lender pull). So I guess this will not affect unless you start paying off the loan.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.