Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan for Part-Time Student?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loan for Part-Time Student?

Can part time students get Stafford loans? Would interest apply during education, or only kick in afterwards?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Re: Student Loan for Part-Time Student?

Yes you can get aid for part time studies.  Interest will depend on whether you qualify for subsidized or unsub loans,  Do a FAFSA.
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

i am trying to get financial aid to return to school.  i am a senoir and my school is telling me that i may not qualify because i was in school to many semesters.  Can i still get a student loan?
Message 3 of 5
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
i am trying to get financial aid to return to school.  i am a senoir and my school is telling me that i may not qualify because i was in school to many semesters.  Can i still get a student loan?

maybe it depends on your school.  i have been going to school for probably 7 years now, & have never had any problems getting student loans.  did they give you any other reasons why you might not qualify?

Message 4 of 5
_mkb

You have to be taking a minimum of 6 credit hours to qualify for aid as an undergrad, but if you meet that requirement, then yes, you can get stafford loans.

As far as being told you've taken too many semesters - Most (all?) schools have a Satisfactory Academic Progress policy - meaning you have to being earning a certain number of hours each semester (the number of hours depends on your enrollment - part-time, full, three quarters, etc). If you don't, your eligibility for financial aid is taken away. Could this be it?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.