cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan good willing - how long did you pursue it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loan good willing - how long did you pursue it?

I have student loans with Nelnet. A couple of years ago I had a very hard time and was so overwhelmed and financially burdened I couldn't pay for a few months. 

I didn't contact them for forbearance. I didn't try to do anything. I just started paying when the dust settled.

Now I obviously regret not contacting them prior to the deliquency, but I didn't realize I could request backdated forebearance in that situation. Kicking myself.

I also had some student loans that I didn't realize weren't included in my consilidation loan until my tax return was held a few years ago. I didn't rehab the loan, I reconsolidated with Nelnet and got them all together. (Which I was not supposed to be able to do without rehabbing the defaulted loans first) So they are all still showing as defaulted, including statuses of '120+ days late' instead of a status of paid. I disputed that the statuses were incorrect as the loans were paid and no longer in default, but they remained and now ALSO show that they were charged off in Feb of this year, which is when they were paid by Nelnet.

I've written one round of goodwill letters, but that was weeks ago and I haven't heard anything back. 

How often should I be trying? Is there an email for Nelnet or Dept of Edu (Greensboro address listed) I could try so I don't need to keep buying envelopes and postage?

Yes, these were federal loans.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

Re: Student Loan good willing - how long did you pursue it?

I had several lates on loans with Nelnet that spanned a few years. A couple of months ago, I signed up with SmartCredit.com.

They offer an option to request Goodwills, to Dispute items, etc.

I submitted goodwill requests using their templates (I think I mentioned family crisis or job loss) and just added a few lines about paying on time and wanting to position myself to get back on track to rent/buy a house.

Nelnet promptly removed ALL of the lates.

Give goodwilling a go. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 2 of 3
FICOgoddess

Re: Student Loan good willing - how long did you pursue it?

SweetCredit

Can yout tell me more about your Goodwill letter to NelNet.  I am in a similar situation and I've heard that they are very particular above removing lates.  I have 4 lates on two loans so it reports as 8 late payments total.  Out of work during that time and dealing with a medical situation.  

If you can provide you goodwill example and/or your contacts and methods of letter submission I bet it could help out a lot of people. Did sweetcredit help you with it or just provide the template?

Congratulations on getting those lates removed.  It seems tricky but you did it!

Thanks!

Starting scores 5/16: EQ 661 | TU 636 | EX 635
Scores as of 2/17: EQ 706 | TU 670 | EX 672
Scores as of 9/17: EQ 717 | TU 670 | EX 673
Cards: Discover $4100 | Amex $12000 | Capital One $13650 | Target $3000
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.