Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan question

tag
NeedHelp112
New Visitor

Student Loan question

Hello, I applied for financial aid for the 2013 school year last year for one semester which was completed in December of 2013.

The subsidized and unsubsidized loans I were going to receive were to dispersed  on

02/06/2014
03/13/2014

However I did not sign up for classes for the 2014 school year and I'm attending another college.

Would the loans that I were going to receive for that date be forgiven or will I have to pay them back since I did not use them?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
scvbd99
Frequent Contributor

Re: Student Loan question

If you were disbursed any funds for a term you didn't attend any classes, they'll find out, and the entire disbursement will be due back PIF immediately.  Do not spend that money if you didn't attend any classes.  Be ready to give it back immediately.  Be proactive and call the fin aid department and tell them you need to give them back the money. 

If you transferred to another accredited school during those same dates, you should talk to both financial aid departments at both schools to find out if there's a solution.  Somebody on here might have gone through that before, but I have not.  

800+ for all 3 CRAs.

Student loan forgiveness/discharge FINALLY complete.
Message 2 of 3
MJSeahawks
Valued Member

Re: Student Loan question

That is correct. If the loans were actually dispersed and you did not attend classes you must pay them back. If the funds were never dispersed to either you or the school then you are fine, but if they were the be prepared to give the money back right away. I had a similar situation when my work schedule prevented me from attending a semester for which I already had loans coming. I didn't stay on top of things to get them canceled in time, but I was wise enough to not spend any of the funds so I could give them right back.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.