cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loans - 16 Lates Showing up as 96 Lates!!

tag
TimeOnMySide
New Contributor

Student Loans - 16 Lates Showing up as 96 Lates!!

What can I do, this is really hurting my score.  I make one payment, but it's sliced up to 6 different accts.  I didn't realize that my loans counted separately and that if I was late once it would count 6 times.  Basically for each disbursement they opened a new loan (all same company).  I have read GWing student loan companies gets you nowhere. Most of these 16 lates happened in 2007 when I had to pay for a car accident repair that wasn't covered.   Is there any recourse?? 
"[Takes] a whole lot of tryin'...just to get up that hill" Jefferson's theme song. I wanna move on Up!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
TimeOnMySide
New Contributor

Re: Student Loans - 16 Lates Showing up as 96 Lates!!

Ideally I would like one of the accts to show all the lates, leaving me with 16.  Not sure if there are any "tools" I can use to make this happen.

"[Takes] a whole lot of tryin'...just to get up that hill" Jefferson's theme song. I wanna move on Up!
Message 2 of 5
laz98
Senior Contributor

i don't know if you can really change their mind about how they are reporting it...i would keep GWing.
Message 3 of 5
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, your lates are reporting correctly.  I used to be in a similar situation - 4 separate student loan accounts, all with a single company and all paid as a single payment.

In the long run, this structure will benefit you in a different way.  Each of these accounts counts towards to your average age of accounts.  They will dilute the effect on AAoA of any new accounts that you open up.

On a related topic, you may want to look into consolidating your loans.  You may be able to get a lower interest rate, and you'd also be left with just one account to worry about.

Message 4 of 5
TimeOnMySide
New Contributor

Alright, thanks for your input everyone!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.