cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loans effect on future loan approvals?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loans effect on future loan approvals?

Specifically how will around ~50,000 in student loans between me and my wife effect our ability to get loans?]

We already have bought a house pre-student loan balance (or that large of a balance). The loans are for her schooling and my masters. We will have a total of 70k in student loan debt by the end of our education.

It's in deferrment because we're enrolled now still. I finish this semester and she goes on for her masters (another $20k).

We willl both be working and our salaries total together about $120k/year starting out.  On a 10yr plan, our payments will probably be around $600.

How do lenders view student loans and at the end of the day is it just the monthly payment that effects your loan approvals?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
smith5879
New Contributor

Re: Student Loans effect on future loan approvals?

I was able to get a $125k mortgage with almost $75k in student loan debt and an auto loan of around $15k. The fact that it's specifically a student loan shouldn't matter. Lenders should treat it just like any other debt.

April 2014: EX FICO 763 | EQ FICO 760 | TU FICO 721
September 2018: EX FICO 811 | EQ FICO 815 | TU FICO 826

Amex BCP 24.5k | Chase Freedom VS 15k | Citi Double Cash WEMC 25k | Discover It 25.5k
Message 2 of 3
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Student Loans effect on future loan approvals?

When lenders consider your application they look both at your credit score and your ability to repay the debt.  Usually the measure ability to repay in part by considering your debt-to-income ratio.  If your student loans are ever deferred, or in an income-based payment plan, be aware that different lenders may count them differently toward your DTI.  For instance, some mortgage companies/programs require them to assume that your student loan payment will be the standard payment amount, or a percentage of the balance even if you are on IBR or deferred.  In your day-to-day borrowing outside a mortgage though, it should be treated any differently than any other debt.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.