Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loans in default turned over to the government

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loans in default turned over to the government

Hello,

My goal this year is to start paying off my federal student loans.  I have viewed my credit reports and have multiple tradelines.  I have seen a lot of reference on the threads that people are "rehabbing" the student loans.  How do I go about this?  The tradelines are from Dept of Ed, Sallie Mae and USA funds.  I did file a Ch 13 bankrupcy 1 year ago and my attorney told me that they are "at bay" for 5 years but I am wanting to proactively start working on this.  I am also with Lexington Law so they are really helping out to get them reporting correctly instead of 120+day late tradeline reporting.  Even if it's a minimum payment that comes directly from my paycheck I have this burden on me and want to start working on it....

Thank you for your help and advice!!

Christine

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loans in default turned over to the government

You will have to contact the lenders to find out who is currently servicing your loans then you can set up rehab. I only dealt with Dept of Ed so I am only familiar with dealing with one company for rehab. Maybe someone else who has had more than one provider can answer the rest for you because I am not sure if you would have to rehab each company separately or not. 

Message 2 of 3
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

Re: Student Loans in default turned over to the government

Go onto the government loan website and print out that info. Find out who the lender is. Contact the lender and tell them you want to rehab . They will send supporting documentation and you will agree on a payment. Make 9 payments over 9 months and your debts will be resold. Mine were direct loans and were sold to nelnet. The 7 tradelines which were all late and defaulted turned into my oldest accounts with perfect payment history. It was amazing!

Starting Score April 2013: 556
Current Score March 2014: 682
Goal Score Soon (-: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.