cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loans transferred - now my entries doubled!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loans transferred - now my entries doubled!

My lender changed for 6 of my unconsolidated student loans and now I have all new entries for the new lender and the old 6 entries that have a status of "transfer" under them.  I know it is bad to have a ton of accounts listed and now overnight I have 6 new ones!  Is this something that can be taken care of by writing to the credit bureau or am I just out of luck?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
JoeBJay20
Established Contributor

Re: Student Loans transferred - now my entries doubled!

Welcome to the forums!

From what you've described, that's normal, you have the listing for the loans under the old lender, and the listing of the loans for the new lender.  When a company sells or transfers an account to a new company, that doesn't erase the original company's credit reporting.  If those are positive tradelines, the old accounts will continue to report for up to 10 years from the closing date.  Just wondering, why haven't you consolidated these loans yet?  

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loans transferred - now my entries doubled!

Thanks for the response!  Two loans are consolidated, but the remaining four are private.  I had thought to consolidate the private loans, but realized that I could make the overall payment just as low if I paid off two of my tiny loans (that each had a $50 min payment every month).  Plus, when I looked into consolidation, I was told my interest rate would go up at least 3 points. 

These are all small loans that were taken out to pay for taking the Bar, needing dental work, new laptop, etc.  All together they are only like 15K so I'd rather just pay them off as they are.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.