Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student Loans

I have several student loans in my report that are showing late. These are all from before I consolidated my student loans. This is from 5 years ago and I don't have any late payments for anything on my report since. I know they usually stay on there for 7 years, but has anyone had success getting them dropped off or deleted? The accounts all show as closed or closed due to refinance but are still flagged as having late payments. My fiance and I are looking to get a house later this year and I feel like these accounts showing late could be holding my score back. Is there any way to get them deleted/dropped since I have had no late payments on my student loans (no late payments for anything actually) since then? If not, does anyone have any advice on boosting it a little bit?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
scvbd99
Frequent Contributor

Re: Student Loans

People have had varying degrees of success with calling the servicers for the accounts that are still showing late payments from before consolidation. 

Personally, I've had 0 success with it, but it doesn't hurt to try.  If you search this subforum for "contact info" or "goodwill letter" or similar terms, you might find some other threads that have specific emails and phone numbers you can try. 

Lates from 5 years ago are going to hurt you with home loan underwriting a lot less than you might think, so good luck. 

Getting all revolving credit down to 0 balances on your credit report will boost your score a bit and also most likely increase the amount you can get approved for with a home loan.  A big factor with automated and live underwriters is how much you pay per month TOTAL on any open loans or revolving credit you have. 

Good luck! Check out the home loan subforum!

800+ for all 3 CRAs.

Student loan forgiveness/discharge FINALLY complete.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student Loans

Thanks for the reply. Our debt to income ratio is actually very low, right around 5%, so I don't think that should be an issue. I contacted a couple of the lenders and have received a response back from one looking for a little more information so it's just a waiting game now I guess.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.