cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loan consolidation while still in school?

tag
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Student loan consolidation while still in school?

I am currently working on degree #2. I'm in graduate school and I recently received an e-mail from My Great Lakes saying that I could consolidate my loans although I'm still in school. Is it possible to just consolidate unsubsidized loans into one loan and leave the subsidized loans as they are? Just curious.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: Student loan consolidation while still in school?

I don't think so, but it never hurts to ask!  Smiley Happy

Are you sure you are not going to need any further loans?  If you are not sure, I would advise you to wait on consolidating, so you can get it all done in one swoop.

Message 2 of 5
frogfan12
Established Contributor

I'm going to need more loans but I'm not taking any more out. Starting with the 2012-2013 school year all graduate loans are unsubsidized by default. I refuse to take out unsub loans, even if means I have to drag my education out more than I'd like.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 3 of 5
laz98
Senior Contributor

Oh, I didn't know that about the graduate loans!  Well, then I guess if you are done taking out loans, you could go ahead & consolidate.

Message 4 of 5
my25reasons
Regular Contributor

I believe with the new system, it is possible. You can call them and ask to be sure though. Recently they closed all the old student loan consolidations and re-opened them in seperate accounts. My one lump sum is now divided in two accounts....subsidized and unsubsidized, so even though they pull the entire payment amount from my checking account each month, my online account with them and my credit reports both reflect two seperate accounts.

In my wallet:
Discover More / Chase Amazon / Chase Freedom /Chase Business Ink / Chase Slate / Capital One Cash Rewards / Walmart Discover / Kohls / JCPenny / Home Depot / Art Van

Experian Direct PLUS scores: Experian 744/ Equifax 763/ TU 744
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.