cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loan default fell off credit report. Am I seeing things?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student loan default fell off credit report. Am I seeing things?

A defaulted student loan with Texas Guarantee is no longer on my Experian report. According to EX it was supposed to fall off in June. Is this gone for good? If not can they put it back on? TU says it will fall off in August. I know I still owe the debts but can they keep hitting my CR once it falls off?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student loan default fell off credit report. Am I seeing things?

When did you default?  I *think* that it falls off 7 years, like anything else, but i cant get clarification of that.  Some threads state there is no statute of limitations, so im not sure if that means it will also ALWAYS be on your report.  Anyone??  Im dealing with a non federal loan issued by my college that SHOULD have fallen off TU but has not.   Opened in 1996 and STILL on there, last payment in 1998.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
When did you default?  I *think* that it falls off 7 years, like anything else, but i cant get clarification of that.  Some threads state there is no statute of limitations, so im not sure if that means it will also ALWAYS be on your report.  Anyone??  Im dealing with a non federal loan issued by my college that SHOULD have fallen off TU but has not.   Opened in 1996 and STILL on there, last payment in 1998.

Is this account still delinquent?
Message 3 of 4
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Student  loans will fall off 7 years after the default date.  However, if the debt is still outstanding, expect the USDOE to subrogate or take over the loan.....that usually happens about the 7-8 year mark.  Then the 7 year reporting cycle starts all over again. 
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.